USB connection questions

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
newmc
USB connection questions

Post by newmc »

According to the documentation -

If the USB host connected to RoboClaw will be powered up at the same time as RoboClaw, mode 15
should be set.

I am interpreting this as - if i switch on the roboclaw - when its connected to a powered usb host, the mode set should be 15 automatically.

When I connect using usb and power up the roboclaw :

1. to a windows box, I see its set to serial mode (Windows connect using ion motion software) (5 blinks)
2. to a linux box, I see its set to packet serial mode ( 7 blinks)

Why is this happening? Why not 15 blinks?

More questions:
1: When I try to talk to the roboclaw using my linux box, I can read data from it, but can't write anything to it - the motors wont rotate at commands. Any ideas what could be wrong?

2: When I try to manually set the mode, I can no longer set it to 15 blinks. After 14 blinks, the roboclaw goes back to 1 blip.

Thanks.
Basicmicro Support
Re: USB connection questions

Post by Basicmicro Support »

When USB is automatically detected it sets an internal flag to use USB packet serial mode. However it does not change the blink count(eg if mode 7 was set you will get 7 blinks).

Also, as of the latest firmware which will be released this week, USB is automatically detected at all times(no longer required to be detected at power on and Mode 15 no longer exists).

Also USB always uses packet serial mode and all other modes are still active when using USB(eg you can be in RC mode and control the motors with RC pulses while using a USB connection to read status info).

Note that you can also send motor commands while running other modes(for example RC mode) but since RC mode is constantly updating the motors the USB motor commands will appear to do nothing. Other modes like simple serial or TTL packet serial will behave similarly. Whichever command was received most recently(USB or TTL packet serial or simple serial) will have priority.