new firmware issues - 4.1.13

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
GeeklyGrey
Re: new firmware issues - 4.1.13

Post by GeeklyGrey »

Yes I upgraded - have pretty much lost contact with RoboClaw. Cannot do a bootstrap load - IONmotion sits there locked up and no response. Need to use taskmaster to kill it every time. Port seems ok. So what happens next?? I don't know. Think I have a task for acidtech here.

BTW I find the search capability of this forum to be abysmal- throws out almost every search because the words are 'too common' When you are looking for info about 'boot strap loader' and other searches like that because you are stuck wouldn't you want everything available? I got nothing back.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

You can always manually getinto Roboclaw to update the firmware. Hold the Mode button while powering it on. The 3 LEDs will start cycling. Then click the Update firmware button. IoNmotion should have popped up a window explaining how to do that. I will haevt o fix that. On older boards that dont support entering the bootloader automatically you will always have to manually enter boot mode. On newer boards(eg ones with bootloaders that support the auto update option) if this happens, you should only have to manually update it once. Future updates should work just by pressing the Update button.

I've changed the common word search setting form words that appear in 5% of posts to 0% which will allow searching for any word apparently.
GeeklyGrey

Post by GeeklyGrey »

Update to above. I was still able to access roboclaw from my old PC with my motion control software. Apparently the firmware did not upgrade at all. The symptoms were that the stat1 led flickered as it does when there is something going on. The IONmotion application failed to connect but it did recognise the 2x15 roboclaw because that note came up in the textbox. After that the application was unresponsive even though taskmanager did not say it was unresponsive. After pulling USB cable from roboclaw the led continued to flicker I believe, all was not well in roboclaw land. Seems that there may be a fault communicating with USB? I swapped to other ports but no difference to IONmotions inaction.

Holding down Mode button while powering up had no effect other than attempting to change settings.
I did see an instructive screen re three leds at some point but was not able to duplicate that again.

On plus side I have a solution re visual basic CRC16 -yeaa -refer other post thread in due course after further testing. But then I cannot test it on motors yet can I - IONmotion not working to upgrade firmware.
GeeklyGrey

Post by GeeklyGrey »

Further work done to date.
I remembered that on my RoboClaw 2x 15a that the MODE and LIPO buttons function back to front. When IONmotion was working I noticed a function to swap those over but I did not do that. With that in mind I pressed on the LIPO button while powering up and voila the led's start to roll. Added-little box said "RC15A32KULDR" - does that imply 32kb or 32 bit version? any issue here? But still no progress.

The new manual NEEDS a note about this swapping business. Without access to IONmotion it cannot be changed over and without a note in the manual you don't know to look for that anyway. I found the buttons were swapped over with hard work and attention to the effect of a button press and the number of stages each offered under the version applicable at that time. A very confusing time with a new product.

I still have an issue with IONmotion failing to function since attempted upgrade to v5. By setting the baud rate on the roboclaw with buttons to 3 flashes the IONmotion screen does not ask for a com port. So the baud is maybe 19200. Over to Device Manager. Ports. My device is running on COM5 and change its speed so is also on 19200. Should be working huh. IONmotion asks for a COM port and port5 is not on the list. I know it is on port5 because I just looked.
Change controller speed to 4 flashes and try a fresh start of IOMmotion. It does not ask for a port now but is trying to do something. I have discovered that if I pull the USB cable out I regain control of IONmotion so I do that and I get a little note that says something along the lines of "GetVersion:A device attached to the system is not functioning. So that is the area where IONmotion is stuck because it has been sitting there for some minutes while I write this. It seems like there may be a mismatch of speeds somehow but I cannot get a correct matchup.
I have uninstalled IONmotion and downloaded fresh copy etc all to no gain. The update button is alive and if I click that roboclaw does not flicker, just sits there, eventually after about a minute times out with a note box "Update error - unable to open communications port-OK". Well its not ok but click the button.
I have tried ALL the speed settings on RoboClaw against the current 19200 visible under Device Manager. and none worked. Some would flicker, the others would not flicker and would ask for a port-never was the connected port available. Then changed the Device Manager port speed to 38200 and went through the roboclaw speeds again. Nothing is connecting. Pulled USB and plugged into phone - works ok there.

Plugged roboclaw to USB from my PC and ran my application-works immediately, comms to Roboclaw on 38400 and Firmware ver 2x15a v4.1.10 all this while the default speed under device manager was 9600!
So tried that in Laptop and roboclaw but no go. Wanted a port but correct port not listed as available, or if it does not want a port the stat1 led just flickers and still does not connect.

IONmotion/help/about - says IONmotion version 1.6.3

Do we have a CRC16 issue vs checksum issue here in IONmotion.
I have done a lot of work here for not much gain.
Cannot think of anything else to try at this point - Any Ideas?

Just loaded IONmotion current version onto my PC where my application runs. IONmotion fails here as well in what seems to be similar fashion. If I stop application after running ok and start IONmotion without disconnecting USB, even then IONmotion fails.
Common factor here is IONmotion.
If I dump IONmotion without unplugging and start application it operates immediately
Basicmicro Support

I am somewhat confused by your post since the fact you had the button swap issue seems to imply you updated the firmware on the Roboclaw but the end of your post indicated you could not update the firmware on your Roboclaw. Please clarify. I will try to answer everything as well.

1. If you are seeing the Comport popup window something is wrong with your setup(if you are using the USB connection). If you are using USB the Roboclaw will be automatically detected and you will not get the popup asking for a comport(if everything is installed correctly and some other software isnt interfering with the USB for some reason). As long as that is happening you are definitely going to have problems(indicates something is wrong). The IonMotion software only asks you for a comport if it can't find a Roboclaw which was to allow older boards that had no USB connection to use IonMotion. Then the baudrate of the Roboclaw matter(because you wouldn't be using the USB connection then). When using USB the baudrate has no effect.

If you are getting that popup when using USB I suggest you call us. We'll have to walk through uninstalling/reinstall everything and probably have to check other things to figure out what is stopping IonMotion from detecting your board correctly.

2. Once you have updated your firmware you can not use older IonMotion software. This usually isn't a problem since it automatically updates itself if you have an internet connection but if you have an older version installed on a computer with out internet access it will not work with the new firmware(because of the CRC16 error detection change).

3. It definitely sounds like you have an older roboclaw that will not automatically enter bootloader mode. You must set the board to bootloader mode manually and then click the Update button in IonMotion to update the firmware. Do this by pressing the Mode button while powering on(unless the buttons are reversed, then press Lipo) which is seems from part of your post you figured out but I wanted to be sure.

As to your buttons getting swapped, If you have an older roboclaw(not necessarily an older version but much older firmware) it may have had the bit set inadvertently. The bit wasn't being used in much older firmware. Its possible that caused your buttons to be swapped by default after you updated.

If I missed anything I apologize for that.
GeeklyGrey

Post by GeeklyGrey »

Hi acidtech and thank you for your very full response.
It has been a very confusing and frustrating time but I can report a breakthrough and reconnection to my RoboClaw. I will step through your reply with notes to round out the picture best I can.

The button swap has been in place since the day I received my RoboClaw.

When I started to configure the unit I had a great deal of confusion figuring out why the numbers of button presses did not match what the then current manual said. I was getting these red flashes from the ERR led at the wrong times in relation to what should have been happening. Then I got solid red and thought I had broken something. Eventually I figured that was due to the battery level being set wrong for the voltage applied. So with some more fiddling on the same buttons I managed to get rid of the solid red by counting the presses of the "MODE" button and realising the quantity of available settings was wrong. It matched with the "LIPO" button listings. So I figured 'It is back to front', WHY?, I did not know there was a possibility that the buttons could be reversed as there is nothing about that in the manual. Hence other communications on this subject. Up until last night I just worked with the settings being back to front - but slipped initially on the boot strap loader- opposite button to what I was lead to believe. And again there is nothing in the manual about how to start the bootstrap loader. I did a lot of digging to find that out and you advised that also in a post. Thank you.
At an early stage in my use of IONmotion I did do an update automatically to 4.1.8 I believe.

Just a few days ago I figured I was ready and attempted to do the update to the latest version and it started but never finished.

Since then I was not able to get communication through to RoboClaw.
I could plug it in and it would say USB RoboClaw 2x 15A in the little text box. It would not come on line at all. It was like it was on the wrong port. At the right door but with the wrong key. Nothing seemed to work.
I attempted to get past the blockage by trying ALL the speed settings, some of them just looked the same and some wanted a COM port. (Interestingly, they were in lock step. One ignored me, next wanted COM port then repeat.) That was when I wrote the posts.
Your point 1, don't worry about the Com ports , that was me trying to get somewhere.
I was deliberately changing my port trying to find a way to resolve my problem. I knew exactly where my port was set but did RoboClaw know that or had it lost the plot, I wondered.
I attempted to do the boot strap loader many times and I already mentioned that I managed to make the led's roll but could not do anything with it.

Your Point 2 - Yes I understand about the software and I have already constructed the necessary changes with a lot of help from the internet. I posted on that separately. Should be ready to go on CRC16 now.

Your Point 3 - It is a V5 but I guess it could have been left on some wrong settings ex your works or even Pololu at some time in its brief life so far. There is no way to know that.

In the end, this morning I stepped through all the modes because I refused to give in!
And after all the port changing this morning something must have been jiggled back into place because it worked as soon as I tried it! damn!!

As I reply to you I am jumping back and forth between screens - It occurs to me that IONmotion could display the currently loaded version of firmware on the RoboClaw and possibly any additional updates available.
I have just tried the RoboClaw with my application set as it was for the older version and it is not working- so it must have updated.
Remmed out two lines to allow new CRC16 to take over and it worked immediately!! You just got to love it when that happens.
My feedback panel shows firmware as "USB RoboClaw 2x15a v4.1.13" on loading up.

Just to record something on the bootstrap loader for others to find. If I have an error please advise me. This is what worked for me.

Ensure that RoboClaw has correct mode selected for your needs.
If using USB then port speed is not an issue.
Power off RoboClaw.
Detach the USB lead at one end.
Start IONmotion
Hold down MODE button on RoboClaw (if buttons are reversed hold LIPO) and power on.
Led's should be rolling green, green, red, repeating.
NOW plug in the USB lead into its usual port, see the model description come up in the text box.
Press update. It will be finished in a very short time, a few seconds, returning to ready screen.
Now you should be able to connect.

I think I have covered everything. I would ask that some of the material not already in the manual be given some space, the manual will be the better for it, and your customers happier. Thank you for sticking with me through what seems to have been a bit of a random event, I can see it would be confusing for you too.
Basicmicro Support

Good to hear it is working properly now.

Your procedure for updating the firmware is basically how it use to have to be done always. We added the autobooload command but if that fails using your method is the best fallback method. It should always leave you with a clean USB connection and it will also let you detect if there is a physicaly problem with the USB(when you connect after already in bootloader mode it should immediately be detected by windows and if not it could indicate the connector has a problem).