Reverse a series wound dc motor?

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
gannicus
Reverse a series wound dc motor?

Post by gannicus »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone tried useing the controller to forward/reverse a series wound dc motor? I figured out that if amature and field coil change direction at the same time, the motor still turns same direction.

I'm thinking if I could connect amature terminals (A1,A2) to m1+ and m1-, and connect field coil terminals(D1,D2) to m2+ and m2-, so basically use one controller to control amature and field coil seperatly. So while the current on field coil stays the same directly, I can reverse the current on amature so that the motor can reverse.

But on the motor manual it says I should never connect amature terminals together (or field coil terminals), so I wonder if anyone had done this before, will it work?

Thanks.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Reverse a series wound dc motor?

Post by Basicmicro Support »

You are correct. You must drive the armature seperately from the field coil. However you must use the Signed Magnitude PWM mode. The inductance of the field coil is usually very low so it presents as a near dead short. The Locked Antiphase PWM mode will draw too much current and may damage the Roboclaw. Sign Magntiude does not have this problem.

The setting can be set in the General Settings screen of Ion Studio.