Driver faults when applying power

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
Bergison
Driver faults when applying power

Post by Bergison »

Hi everyone at Basicmicro!

I have already used two RoboClaw 2x30a motor controllers successfully with following setup:

A 12 V lead car battery (with thick enough and short cables) supplying two motor controllers and three standard wiper motors. I also use Shottky diodes to provide an uninterrupted return path to the battery.

Everything worked fine until a short circuit between the motors fried the controllers - my fault :roll:

I bought another two RoboClaw 2x30a and made sure this would not happen again. However when applying power with the new controllers, the respective motor driver faults come on on both units. I am pretty sure there was no overcurrent or shortage this time. After a reset, the fault (light) is off until the unit tries to move a motor.

Thank you very much for your help!
Basicmicro Support
Re: Driver faults when applying power

Post by Basicmicro Support »

1. Double check all your wiring.
2. Double check the motors werent damaged when the original problem happened.
3. Make sure you are powering the main battery. Driver faults will happen if only logic battery is powered.
4. Test if the driver fault triggers when NO motors are attached to the controllers.

Assuming the fault happens even with no motors connected the boards have been damaged again. Send themn in so we can try to diagnose them. We will try to work with you to figure out what in your setup is damaging them.
Bergison

Post by Bergison »

Many thanks for your quick reply! I checked all your suggestions but the driver faults remain. I used a Pololu Servo controller in one setup and I guess a wrong power cable wiring there might have damaged the boards.

I sent them to you for diagnosis/repair together with a short description as given above.

As I urgently need the boards for a patent pending project, I look forward to information regarding time to repair and involved costs.

Again many thanks for your help!
Best regards!
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Email support@basicmicro.com with the tracking. We will try to fast track the repair as soon as it comes in.