Fail to update the firmware and connection lost

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
Basicmicro Support
Re: Fail to update the firmware and connection lost

Post by Basicmicro Support »

1. make sure you power the board from the main power conntions. USB will NOT power the board properly. USB power is only used to detect the connection and only some parasitic power may bleed through.

2. Power cycle the board.

3. Check Windows Device manager to see fi the Roboclaw shows up under Ports. It will show as a generic Atmel CDC Virtual Comport.

4. Re-start Ion Studio. Press Update Firmware. Do not press Connect to Selected Device before updating. It will just tell you that you need to update the firmware first.
marikk

Post by marikk »

The same thing happened to me. I followed these instructions, but the device does not show up as a port in Device Manager. What should I do?
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

If it doesnt show up as a port in Device manager then the Windows USB driver for Roboclaw is not installed. Go to our website download section and download the Windows USB driver for Roboclaw. Unzip the file you download. Then run the dpinst.exe or dpsint64.exe(depending on whether you are using 32bit or 64bit Windows).

Then it should show up in device manager.

Make sure you have powered the Roboclaw. USB connections to the Roboclaw do NOT power the board. Main battery or logic battery power input is required.