Solo 60A; issue with M1HM tripping from motor movement

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
robof3
Solo 60A; issue with M1HM tripping from motor movement

Post by robof3 »

I have Solo 60A (firmware 4.1.26) powered by a 3S LiPo, running an RS-550 motor with a Banebot P60 132:1 gearbox. I have S3 acting as a Limit Switch via a Contrinex inductance sensor (https://www.contrinex.com/product/dw-as-503-m30-002) with a 4-pin connector. I have S3 mode set to Motor 1 Limit (Fwd) with Invert checked. My sensor will output ~11V to S3 upon contact so I tried solving my problem by using the Invert flag and a resistor between GND, S3, and sensor output.

The problem appears when I send the motor in the direction of the limit switch (happens with FWD or REV) with a high PWM value. The current draw appears very low, around 3 Amps, as there is no load attached to the gearbox. If I keep power to the motor low, maybe 30% or less, it appears to work flawlessly.

The interesting thing is, I can set S3 mode to E-Stop, and the issue does not happen. I can send the motor to 100% PWM FWD or REV with no issue. I can touch the sensor and the ESTP will trigger as expected. So it seems tied specifically to Limit/Home.

I tried disconnecting the sensor, essentially leaving it normally open just as if the sensor was connected, and the issue still presents itself.

Any thoughts on what could be going on or things I can try to fix this?
Basicmicro Support
Re: Solo 60A; issue with M1HM tripping from motor movement

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Roboclaw pins are rated for a maximum of 7v(technically we rate them to only 5v but they can survive 7v). 11v will damage the signal pin and probably already has. Your description is unclear how you have your sensor wired to the pin. Somedthing about a resistor from GND, S3 and Sensor output but not the value of the resistor(s) or how it(they) are wired to those lines. There is no way I can see for you to wire a single resistor to all three pins so I have to assume you have more than one resistor(which you dont say)

As for your issue it is unlcear from your post what that is. Please re-write it with a clear description of the issue.