Roboclaw 2x7a to control a single motor with potentiometer

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
KianRossitto
Roboclaw 2x7a to control a single motor with potentiometer

Post by KianRossitto »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to make a simple circuit with One potentiometer controlling one servo motor but I am new to Roboclaw/Ion Studio and I cannot seem to get it to work.

I am trying to use an analog controller and tried the circuit (minus the second motor) in the picture below.

Any help is appreciated
Attachments
Pot_Motor.PNG
Pot_Motor.PNG (62.23 KiB) Viewed 5247 times
Basicmicro Support
Re: Roboclaw 2x7a to control a single motor with potentiometer

Post by Basicmicro Support »

We will need more information that you have provided. What is the pots resistance? What value did you use for R1? Did you set the mode to analog? Did you test the motors using Ion Studio before setting the mode to analog? What is your power source? What voltage?

In general I would recommend you call in for help. Based on your post this could be any number of causes and going back and forth in the forums could take several days.
KianRossitto

Post by KianRossitto »

Pot Resistance- 10K Ohms
R1- 15K Ohms
Yes mode was set to Analog.
No previous knowledge of Ion Studio, I cannot find anywhere that shows how to test motor.
Power Source- 12V Rechargeable battery.
Basicmicro Support

In Ion Studio you can test the motor using the PWM Settings screen. The motor sliders will run each motor channel. Make sure the control mode is set to Packet serial while testing.

After you have confirmed the motor runs fine from Ion Studio, change the mode to Analog and save the settings in the Device menu.

Power off the controlller. Then set your analog input to the middle position. Power on the Roboclaw. It will use the initial position of the input signal as the center point(eg stopped). You should now be able to run the motor with the s1 input(for motor channel 1). Make sure you can move the motor forward and backward.
KianRossitto

Post by KianRossitto »

I am having trouble getting the Motor Working.
I am using a Polou servo motor with an encoder on it.
I am getting a Driver Fault Error. What does this mean?
Basicmicro Support

Driver fault either means you are not powering the main power input on the Roboclaw or the controller is damaged.

Email support@basicmicro.com with a picture of your wiring and include the part number or a link to the Pololu motor. Include a description of what you are using to power the controller(battery, power supply) and the voltage.