Homing problems

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
IUNO
Homing problems

Post by IUNO »

Hi,

We have 3 roboclaw 2x7A.

We are trying to use the S4 and S5 functions in order to get the motors homed using python libraries.

The problem that we have is that sometimes when the signal is enabled, the motor doesn't move in any direction. We have tried to configure S5 to Motor home(user) and motor home(user)/limit(fwd) with the same results. With Ion studio the motor doesn't move either if the signal is high (no reverse and no forward).

¿Is there a way to read the input without configure it like home? (I mean using it like a general purpose input). We could read it using python library and program the homing method by ourselves.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Homing problems

Post by Basicmicro Support »

What firmware version are you using?

What are you using as a sensor for the home signals and how do you have them wired up?
IUNO

Post by IUNO »

acidtech wrote:What firmware version are you using?

What are you using as a sensor for the home signals and how do you have them wired up?
The firmware is 4.1.23

I'm using a photoelectric sensor OMRON ee-sx670 wiring the output to S5.

A schematic of the connections

In any case the problem isn't electric. The problem is that when the signal is high the motor doesn't move either forward or reverse. That only occurs sometimes. For us would be so much easier if we could read the input without assign any function.

Thanks
BR
Basicmicro Support

Reading the input isnt an option.

Please send a screen shot of your General Settings screen so I can duplacte the settings on a test unit.
IUNO

Post by IUNO »

With that configuration or using motor2 Home(user)/limit fwd sometimes it lets move in both directions, sometimes only one, and sometimes no movement at all. In fact when it doesn't let move, it tries to move only for a moment (moving 5 or 10 encoder counts)
IUNO

Post by IUNO »

acidtech wrote:Reading the input isnt an option.
Would be so difficult to implement this in a firmware?

Could be possible to implement a home signal that doesn't imply a limit? In fact my home is just in the middle so I don't need that movement limits.
Basicmicro Support

It is extremely hard to add anythign new to these models because we have already added so many features they are maxing out the code space.

Run a test without the photo sensor. Manually trigger the home signal with a switch or jumper wire isntead.

A video of the problem in action would also be helpfull.

Also what commands are you using to move the motor when homing? If you are using velocity or position commands test using a Duty cycle command instead.

If you PID settings are not very good you could get oscillation in the motor when it starts moving causing it to move backwards into the sensor causing a false trigger.

Also I'm concerned about the photo sensor being noisy in general. can you get a oscilloscope trace of the sensor signal while testing? If when it start to move out of the sensor it doesnt have a clean turn off but bounces it could cause the symptoms you are seeing.