SerialTimeoutException: Write timeout

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
dvedova
SerialTimeoutException: Write timeout

Post by dvedova »

I have been using two roboclaw 45A communicating over USB to control two pairs of solenoids I am using, and up until today, everything has been working fine. I have been using python over usb to talk to them. When I turned everything on today, nothing seems to be working. First, my computer is now having trouble detecting the motor drivers in the COM ports in device manager. Second, when I can get the computer to see the roboclaws, and I can run my code, the shell will immediately throw an error: "SerialTimeoutException: Write timeout"

I am further confused by the fact that when I go to the Ion Studio app, I can connect over USB, and command current using the slider bars in the app, which leads me to believe that the problem is with my computer, not with the roboclaws.

Is there some sort of soft reset I can do? Did I somehow manage to damage the boards? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Basicmicro Support
Re: SerialTimeoutException: Write timeout

Post by Basicmicro Support »

If the boards work in IonStudio(make sure they do fully work in IonStudio) then the problem isnt with the Roboclaw boards.

However if you cant see the boards in the Device Manager then IonStudio will also NOT find them so this would indicate they do not full work in IonStudio.

1. Replace your USB cable with a new one(simple but you'd be surprised how often its a bad USB cable).
2. Make sure you have a solid power source running the board(s).
3. Test on a second computer to make sure it isnt something specific to your main computer.