Firmware update 4.1.34 broke speed control function

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
ejunkins
Firmware update 4.1.34 broke speed control function

Post by ejunkins »

Hi,

I have a project that I have been using the Roboclaw 2x7a on, and has been running on what I believe was 4.1.33 firmware version (whatever the number is the previous version was). It has been working for quite a few weeks now. I today upgraded to 4.1.34 version and the system no longer works. Specifically I'm using the python library and using the SpeedAccelM1() and SpeedAccelM2() functions. I can give the motor controllers an initial command, but it doesn't matter what that command is within the accepted range, it goes the same speed, and stays that same speed no matter what I send afterwards. I am still able to receive telemetry from the Roboclaw, and I can send it a ForwardM1(0) to stop the motor. Can you please assist as to what changed in this latest update that would cause this?
Last edited by ejunkins on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ejunkins
Re: Firmware update 4.1.34 speed function

Post by ejunkins »

To illustrate my problem in more clear terms I have this test script:

Code: Select all

from roboclaw import Roboclaw
import serial
import time

address = 0x80
rc = Roboclaw("/dev/ttyTHS1", 115200)
rc.Open()

rc.SpeedM1(address, 0)
rc.SpeedM2(address, 0)

time.sleep(2)

rc.ForwardM1(address, 0)
rc.ForwardM2(address, 0)
This causes the motors to spin forward at some set speed, even though I'm telling it to go at 0 speed, for 2 seconds, then stops when I give it the ForwardM1() command.

Additionally, If i use the BasicMotion GUI to try and command a speed using the slide bar, it doesn't matter what speed (or direction) it is always the exact same. The PID values are verified to be the correct values.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Firmware update 4.1.34 broke speed control function

Post by Basicmicro Support »

1. Have you checked all your settings were kept or you reentered them after the firmware update?
2. Have you tried resetting to defaults and then entering the previous settings?
3. Does this only happen with the python code? Have you tested if you can control speed in Motion Studio.

You can temporarily revert to the previous version of Motion Studio and downgrade the firmware back to 4.1.33. Open Windwos Programs and Features. Select Motion Studio and click uninstall. You should get an option to uninstall OR revert to previous version.
ejunkins

Post by ejunkins »

• All settings are correct and verified yes, the PID tunings and all other settings. PWM control functions as expected and encoders are verified.

I have reset and re-entered the parameters, and re-tuned the motors as well.

It happens if I use the BasionMotion studio, In my 2nd post on this thread I detailed both the python test code and the GUI test.
I will attempt to do the previous firmware version, I wasn't aware how to do that.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

We found a problem in the installer build. I rebuilt the installe rand uploaded it. The problem should now be fixed. Re-download the setup.exe from the website, install the software from scratch and then do a firmware update even if you still have 4.1.34 on the controller.