Arduino control AND RC?

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
wonderfultech
Arduino control AND RC?

Post by wonderfultech »

It appears, though I want to make sure, that my 4WD robot platform, which I ordered with a RoboClaw 2x30A Controller has been a lot of fun to work with using a FLYSKY FS-i6 RC system. I've been working on some RPi-controlled audio / lighting for the system, but it's time to add Arduino control of the the motors.

I see a number of good examples and will start moving forward, but wonder if it is possible to have BOTH RC (as a failsafe) and Arduino operating with the RoboClaw 2x30A controller at the same time. Everything I read says that a selection is made from the switches on the controller, but I wanted to be sure. Logically, I could see a use where one controller logic overrides the other, so is it possible to use both at the same time?

I suppose another option would be to integrate RC at the microcontroller level. That is, use the output from the RC as input to the Arduino and have the sketch look for the RC signals and act on those, sending messages to the controller.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Arduino control AND RC?

Post by Basicmicro Support »

S1 and S2 inputs can only be Packet serial OR RC mode, not both at once. If you are using an Arm based Arduino you may be able to setup a USB host and talk to the Roboclaw with USB packet serial which would leave S1 and S2 free for RC control. Otherwise, the answer to your question is no.
wonderfultech
Re: Arduino control AND RC?

Post by wonderfultech »

Thank you for your quick response. I thought this would be the answer but wanted to be sure.