Using Current Sensing for Roller Shutter Endstop

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
lintop8

Using Current Sensing for Roller Shutter Endstop

Post by lintop8 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi All,

I have an electric roller shutter that I have installed on a Ford Ranger. The roller shutter currently has a hall effect sensor, however it does not have limit switches. I was wondering if I could use the Roboclaw's current sensing to sense when the roller shutter is fully open or fully closed? The power is cycled every time the key is turned on/off so the Hall effect sensor by itself cannot give me the current location.

Also when reading the section on Inputs, if I were to add limit switches, the reads that the roller shutter would move for 3 seconds backward, and then forward until the limit switch is triggered. So if I read this correctly, every time the ignition is turned on the roller shutter would open around 1/4 of the way, then close again.

The roboclaw would be excellent in controlling the speed, as well as emergency stop if the roller jams against an obstruction, just not sure of the best way to manage the power cycling.

Has anyone used a Roboclaw for this type of application before?

Basicmicro Support

Re: Using Current Sensing for Roller Shutter Endstop

Post by Basicmicro Support » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:21 am

With a microcontroller(like an arduino) you could potetnially setup somethign like that. You would need to run slowly when doing this "homing" from current readings to be safe.

As for using a limit switch, you misunderstand it a little. It will move for UP TO 3 seconds(before timing out) to get out of the sensor and then go back into the sensor if it starts already in the sensor(triggered). If it immediately moves out of the sensor it will stop and move back into it. So a few millimeters or less potentially.