False Overcurrent Warning

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
kivilcim.cakir
False Overcurrent Warning

Post by kivilcim.cakir »

Hello everyone, I am using RoboClaw 2X45A for an AGV we are working on. I realized an unexpected behaviour with the driver. Motor 2 Channel is misreading the current flowing through motor and warning about overcurrent situation eventhough there is none. Driver says there is 5Amps of current but ampermeter reading is 500mA, and motor can not reach the commanded speed. When i apply a torque to the motor externally(try to move the wheel with my hand), helping it to turn, misreading disappears and driver works perfectly until it stops. After motor stops i send the command to turn the motor again and problem reoccurs. This happens every second or third try, other times it works perfectly. I changed the motors connected to channel 1 and 2, channel 2 kept giving OC error while channel 1 works perfectly so I assume it is not about the motors. I also have another RoboClaw 2x45A which is working with another AGV that we built which is working perfectly for months now. Firmware version is 4.1.34(latest available). I have no idea about how to solve problem or what the problem is. Do you have an idea? Is there any way you can help me? Thanks in advance.
Basicmicro Support
Re: False Overcurrent Warning

Post by Basicmicro Support »

You just need to adjust the current blanking % for that motor channel. The default 5.4 is fine for most small motors but if you are seeing false current readings it is because the window is too small(noise at low duty cycles cause the false readings and the window setting prevents those current readings from being used). I recommend between 8 and 10%. You can go as high as 20% but I've never had a motor that required it to be set that high.