Relation between main battery voltage and motor voltage on RoboClaw 2x15A

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
historicode97
Relation between main battery voltage and motor voltage on RoboClaw 2x15A

Post by historicode97 »

Hello,

I'm looking to controlling two 12V BDC motors with a RoboClaw 2x15A (each motor on it's own motor channel). I will power the RoboClaw 2x15A with a 4S LiPo (14.8-16.8 V).

I was wondering if the whole 14+ V will be feeded to the motors, or if there's a way to regulate the output voltage for each motor. Otherwise, if I use a voltage regulator to feed 12V to the RoboClaw, should I add a diode in parallel like the diode on the fuse in this schematic ?

Second question on the same topic : each motor has a stall current of 5.5 A and the RoboClaw's logic circuit current draw is 30 mA. If I want to put a fuse between my LiPo and my RoboClaw, should i plan that the fusemust handle 11.03 A ? Or should I instead use a fuse that handles less current and breaks at stall current ?

Sorry if my questions are obvious, I am still a relative beginner with electronics.
rusty-hatchet
Re: Relation between main battery voltage and motor voltage on RoboClaw 2x15A

Post by rusty-hatchet »

__bump__

I've been wondering the same thing for a while! I have a 'Wild Thumper 4WD' with a RoboClaw 2x15 .. been wanting to replace the battery pack (currently a homebrew 2x3 18650 pack (7.2V nom., 8.4V max) with a 12V AGM motorcycle battery. These motors have a maximum nom. voltage of 7.2V according to Pololu...and last thing I want to happen is burn something up trying to upgrade! :shock: :shock: :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.pololu.com/product/1567
rusty-hatchet
Re: Relation between main battery voltage and motor voltage on RoboClaw 2x15A

Post by rusty-hatchet »

searching further ... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1135
Like most motor controllers/driver the output from the Roboclaw is a PWM of the battery input. So no, you can't limit the output voltage. You can only limit the output power.
:cry: :? :roll: ;)