Issues with 4.2 firmware

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
tinkeringtechie
Issues with 4.2 firmware

Post by tinkeringtechie »

I just went to change the tuning on my 2x45A and it auto-updated to the latest version of motion studio (including 4.2 firmware). I went ahead and updated, but immediately it was giving logic battery low errors and the main battery voltage appeared low as well. I even set the logic battery low level to 0 and it still had the error. It was working fine a few minutes before, so I knew it was firmware related and reverted back to the previous version. It looked like the new version was significantly different, so I'm guessing that there are still a few bugs. Let me know if you need any additional info to troubleshoot.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Issues with 4.2 firmware

Post by Basicmicro Support »

This was a regression. 4.2 on some models was not checking if Main battery was over 5.5v. This has been corrected and 4.2.1 firmware is now available.
tinkeringtechie

Post by tinkeringtechie »

I tried the new firmware and got similar inaccuracies in the voltages. No errors this time, but I depend on the voltage for SOC monitoring.

Version 4.2.1 showed main battery voltage 11.1, logic 0.5
Version 4.1.34 showed main battery voltage 12.8 logic 0.6

The reading were a few seconds from each other with no load and no other changes besides the firmware.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

4.2 had a regression error in the Logic battery voltage error detection code on some models. It was corrected in 4.2.1

4.2.1 had the battery voltage readings adjusted but for full accuracy you will need to adjust them using the voltage offset settings. The voltage offset settings have been widened to +-2v so you can adjust them to be more accurate.

When NOT using Logic battery the input may floats. If this voltage floats higher than 3v we recommend grounding the LB+ pin to prevent false logic battery errors.