Getting roboclaw out of bootstrap mode

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
EdMartini
Re: Getting roboclaw out of bootstrap mode

Post by EdMartini »

I can enter bootloader mode by holding the mode button while powering it on, and exit bootloader mode by rebooting.

I'm trying to figure out how to update the firmware. Anyone? I only have weekends to work on my project and I need the new firmware to make progress.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Once the board is in bootloader mode you use IonMotion software to update the firmware. Currently there is no other option for updating the firmware.

When updating the firmware with IonMotion you do not click the Connect menu item. The first screen that shows in IonMotion(if you are using the latest version) is the firmware update screen. If you connect a Roboclaw to the PC USB port IonMotion will detect it immediately and update the Status to show the board is connected. Then you just click the Update button.
Basicmicro Support

Once the board is put into bootloader mode by a software command(command 255 to be exact) you must update the firmware to clear the eeprom flag.
Basicmicro Support

You must update the firmware using IonMotion. This requires a win7 or newer OS as well. Currently firmware updates are not supported through any other software.

Open IonMotion. The first screen shows the Firmware update button. Check that the model shows a value. If it shows "Not Connected" then the roboclaw is either not conencted, not powered or you dont have the drivers installed. You can download the USB drivers from any product page or the downloads page on the main website.