RoboClaw 2x5A v4

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
staska
RoboClaw 2x5A v4

Post by staska »

Hello,
I would like to know more about RoboClaw 2x5A v4 peak current. It can handle 10A peak current, so I am interested in for how long and if I will put on this motor controller heat sink can it handle 10A current for longer time?
Sincerely,
Staska
Basicmicro Support
Re: RoboClaw 2x5A v4

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The length of time at 10a is purely determined by temperature. As the temperature rises above 25c on the board the maximum peak current is reduced, until at 85c the peak current is 5amps. If you need to run something at higher than 5amps for more than a few seconds I would recommend you use a more powerful motor controller.

Also be careful you are not determining peak current draw of your motor from the motors continuous current rating. That is not the maximum current the motor will draw under any given load. That is the maximum current the motor should be allowed to draw under any given load(eg to prevent the motor from overheating). You should use the motors stall current rating to estimate the peak current required.
staska

Post by staska »

Can you say what kind of output signals are flowing from RoboClaw terminals (M1A, M1B, M2A, M2B) to connected motors? Is it a constant DC current, or is it PWM signal?
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The outputs are driven by PWM.