How Can I Set Acceleration and/or Speed Limit in Analog Mode?

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
jdebros
How Can I Set Acceleration and/or Speed Limit in Analog Mode?

Post by jdebros »

I am using a 2x30 controller with an analog joystick with dual 10k pots and 15k resistors. The signals are connected to S1/S2. Directional movement works correctly. The issue that I'm attempting to resolve is that I am unable to set any type of ramping/acceleration and/or speed limit.

Basically, the robot moves quickly in all directions. I enabled "Expo" in the IonMotion software, but that only softens things for slow movements (near the center position). If the joystick is jerked in any direction (or accidentally struck) things start moving really quickly again.

Per the below quote, I believe that at least the acceleration factor can be adjusted:
//4.1.4 changes
//modified speed/velocity control in RC/Analog mode.
I'm assuming that means there's a way to set acceleration/ramping for analog mode?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Basicmicro Support
Re: How Can I Set Acceleration and/or Speed Limit in Analog Mode?

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Yes, there is. You can set the default PWM acceleration value. However it can currently only be done using a packet serial command. Also IonMotion currently doesnt give you the option to change it.

The packet serial command numbers are 68 for M1 and 69 for M2:

The syntax is:
address, cmd, value(4 bytes, unsigned long), crc16

Teh maximum value is 655360(eg 100ms for a full swing change -100% to +100%). The minimum is 1. 0 is the same as the maximum. The value is in PWM duty cycle change per second.

Im working on an update for IonMotion now. I'll add the option to set these in the General settings.
jdebros

Post by jdebros »

Im working on an update for IonMotion now. I'll add the option to set these in the General settings.
Thank you for the quick response and committing to support this in the software. This type of support and product quality are why we've been implementing your controllers in our robots. This particular change simplifies one of our upcoming prototype demonstrations.

Simple is good + costs less (both for our BOM and support costs).

Jeff

p.s. Where should I check for the update - via the forums or the download link for IonMotion?
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

I've added the capcbility to IonMotion but it will be a little while before we make the release available(still needs alot of testing). If you would like a beta copy email me at support@ionmotion.com and I'll send you a link to download it.

Otherwise we will post in announcements when the new release has been made available.