Older version of library/software?

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
jwatte
Older version of library/software?

Post by jwatte »

I have a few 2x5A and 2x30A boards from 2014 or so. I think they are currently using an early version of rev 4 firmware.
I'm trying to talk to these boards from Windows, and downloaded the Python code, but it seems the Python code does not detect the difference between old and new boards, and thus can't read anything from the board.

Is the older Python library available somewhere?

Also, is there some way I can update the firmware to a more modern version?

Finally, i talk to the board using a USB<->Serial adapter. Is there some way I can convince the Ion Motion Windows software to actually talk to these boards for configuration, or is that reserved for the USB-capable boards?
jwatte
Re: Older version of library/software?

Post by jwatte »

Actually, the 2x30a all have USB, so I could update those. That leaves the 2x5A boards for the questions.
jwatte

Post by jwatte »

Actually, the 2x30a all have USB, so I could update those. That leaves the 2x5A boards for the questions.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The non-USB boards would need to be sent in to be updated(eg just the 2x5A boards). The USB boards need to be checked they have the bootloader(pre 4.0 firmware did not). Hold the mode button when powering on the board. The LEDs should start to cycle in sequence if they have the bootloader. If so you can connect them to the PC, open IonMotion and click the Firmware Update button to update them.

Send the non-USB boards to us(see contact page). Include your return address along with a request for the firmware to be udpated inside the box you send them in. Thanks.
jwatte

Post by jwatte »

Thank you! The 2x30A ones both updated over USB. I'll send in the 2x5A ones.

When updating the bootloader, one of the boards went into a weird loop, where it would enter bootloader mode (running lights,) then I'd plug it in, and it would power on, connect to Windows (I hear the Windows USB connection sound,) then it would appear to power-cycle; re-connect to WIndows (I hear the Windows sound,) repeat ...

However, in the end this board too can connect to it from the Windows software, and it shows latest version, so I think I'm good.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The mode button may be sticking on that second board causing it to go into bootloader mode. Let me know if you still have problems with it. You may want to re-update the firmware on it to see if that prevents the looping.