USB device doesn't appear on Mac

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
dishbot
USB device doesn't appear on Mac

Post by dishbot »

I am trying to use my v5 Roboclaw (4.1.13) 2x15A in USB-only mode, but the device doesn't appear in /dev/tty* when plugged in to my Mac (OSX 10.11.3). I've tried rebooting my computer, power cycling the Roboclaw, unplugging and replugging cables, and using different USB cables, but nothing seems to work.

Any advice on debugging steps to take? I don't have easy access to a Windows machine, unfortunately, to try your software.

Thanks!
Basicmicro Support
Re: USB device doesn't appear on Mac

Post by Basicmicro Support »

What kind of Mac is it? What OS version?

Can you tell me what model of Roboclaw you what firmware version it has(it may have a sticker on the packaging with that information if it is a newer unit)?

The Roboclaw should show up as a dev/ttyACM# device. It should show up correctly on a Mac. I know it works on Linux and I think I've had customs connect them to Macs before. My first suggestion would be to check the unit works on a PC. See if you access one at work or something. You are just checking to see if it shows up in device manager(even without drivers it should show something on the PC). If it doesnt then there could be a problem with the USB connection. Swap out the cable and check it again if that is the case. If it still doesnt work you may need to send it back for repair/replacement.
dishbot

Post by dishbot »

It's a 13" Retina Macbook Pro, Early 2015. I mentioned that it is running OS X 10.11.3, but do you need more than that? I also am not sure what more information you need about the Roboclaw I have, either. It's a 2x15A v5 running 4.1.13 firmware (checked with an Arduino, which works fine as a way to communicate with it, but doesn't work long-term for me). I don't have access to a PC at work, but I will try to ask a friend soon. I should be able to get access on a Linux box tomorrow, too.

I get the feeling I'm not missing any debug steps except for gaining access to a PC. I'll update here when I can.
Basicmicro Support

Sorry, I complete glosed over you had mentioned the OS version. Duh.

Primarily I wanted to find out what kind of Mac you had(Macs had problems with CDC ACM devices several years ago)

Yes, I think the main test left is to connect it to a PC.

But, one other thing you can try is put the Roboclaw in bootloader mode and connect it to the Mac and see if it shows up. The bootloader uses a technically different USB signature though it is also a CDC ACM device. Hold the Mode button down will powering on the Roboclaw to put it into bootloader mode. The 3 LEDs on the board will begin to cycle when it is in bootloader mode.
dishbot

Post by dishbot »

So I actually got a 2x7A Roboclaw in the mail the other day, and I was able to talk to it over USB from my Mac. Which to me means there is an issue with my original 2x15A Roboclaw. I tried the multiple USB cables, and none worked. Is there more evidence you need, or can we proceed with getting a replacement? Would I go through you or through Pololu where I purchased them?

Thanks for your support on these forums!
Basicmicro Support

One last thing to check(I might have missed it in your previous emails) is to put the Roboclaw into bootloader mode and see if it shows up as a USB device. If it still doesnt show up then I suspect the USB connector has a problem.

You can send the 2x15A in to be repaired/replaced.

Send it to:

Ion Motion
33175 Temecula Parkway
Suite A-630
Temecula CA 92592

Include a note inside the box with your return address and a note saying the problem is the USB connection.
jwatte

Post by jwatte »

I've had issues where I have to separately power a RoboClaw in order for the USB to talk to it correctly.
Might be worth a try.
Basicmicro Support

By seperately powered, do you mean by a logic battery with a seperate main battery? I know if you only power from main battery and the power dips enough(or has enough noise from the motors on it) the USB can disconnect but that shouldnt prevent connencting at all(eg not showing up), especially if the motors arent running at the time the USB is connected. I suppose a bad power supply could cause problems. Just as a general procedure for testing this kind of problem, I would use a battery and not have any motors attached when trying to debug a problem. Fewer variables to deal with.
jwatte

Post by jwatte »

My point was: Make sure there's a battery connected when plugging into USB. Nothing in this thread suggested that this step was actually taken in troubleshooting. As in: USB only won't power the RoboClaw enough to talk to it. I think we're saying the same thing, though :-)
Basicmicro Support

Yes. I've said it before so I didnt remember if I had said it in this thread. USB will NOT power the Roboclaw. You must provide power externally when conencting to the USB port.