RoboClaw 2x30A red blink twice

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
jwatte
RoboClaw 2x30A red blink twice

Post by jwatte »

I have a RoboClaw 2x30A that I updated the firmware on over USB.
It had some problems while updating -- it went into some kind of reboot loop -- but after cutting power and running it, it seemed to be OK.

However, now when I turn it on, it blinks two red blinks right from the start.
The manual says this means "battery undervoltage."
I have tried setting the LiPo setting to 1 (turned off,) 2 (autodetect,) and 5 (4 cells) and I still get this problem.
I feed it with either a 4S LiPo fully charged (about 16V) or a bench power supply with 15.9V power.

Is there some other error that can cause the RC to do this? Or did the firmware upgrade not work as well as I thought? What else can I do to troubleshoot this?
jwatte
Re: RoboClaw 2x30A red blink twice

Post by jwatte »

I connected with USB, and the claw now has this status:

I presume that this means it's toast?
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The blink codes were updated recently. 2 blinks on the error LED(with STAT1 and/or STAT2 lit) indicates a driver failure. The drivers can be damaged if a voltage spike goes to high. This is usually only a problem when using a power supply that can't handle the regenerative voltage, or if the wires from the battery are exessively long or under sized for the current required. In the first case the voltage of the power supply gets pumped up until it can be several times the input voltage(not good for the supply either) and int he later case the inductance of the wires can be high enough that under load changes the voltage can shoot up too high or go negative(this is the most likely cause of the damage).

Im afraid if this error is happening you will have to send in the board to have its driver chip replaced.
jwatte

Post by jwatte »

Alright. Where do I make arrangements for that? support@ionmc.com ?
Basicmicro Support

You can just send it in with the not and return address inside. We will repair it and return it to you. Currently we dont charge for repairs unless the damage is excesive(eg like installing the battery backwards :) ) so we dont require any arrangements.

Ship to:

Ion Motion
33175 Temecula Parkway
Temecula CA 92592

For somethign like this it usually only takes a day or two to get turned around.
jwatte

Post by jwatte »

That sounds like a great policy!
I'm in NorCal, so hopefully the mail will be fast.
Basicmicro Support

I forgot to include the Suite number. A-630