Question on M1 Driver Fault error

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
DanKSI
Question on M1 Driver Fault error

Post by DanKSI »

Hi.

I am using the Roboclaw 2x45A ST to control two motors. The motors are two wheelchair motors with quadrature encoders, running at 24V, and they are mounted to a single device. I have no issues with how these are running under typical usage.

If I try to physically hold the device in place while increasing the throttle, I get a strange noise coming from the motors. I typically let the throttle off and there appears to be a delayed reaction to the motor stop input. I checked my logging when this occurred and I noticed that a M1 Driver Fault was detected. What is the cause of a M1 Driver Fault and what should I have as an appropriate response to detecting that issue?

I am not so much concerned with the noise, as long as I can detect that it is occurring and do something about it.

Thanks,

Dan K.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Question on M1 Driver Fault error

Post by Basicmicro Support »

If the M1 Driver fault went away the problem was a power glitch(the driver chip wasnt getting enouhg power so its status flag went low. If the problem is perminent(eg the motor will not run again after a power cycle) then the driver has been damaged and will have to be repaired.

When you stall the motor(hold it still) while under power, you are pulling large amounts of current(much more than under normal running conditions). The noise you hear is the Roboclaw chopping the PWM to the motor to prevent the current from going over the maximum current limit.

Also when pulling large amounts of current the main power may not be able to supply the amount required which will cause the voltage to dip. This can cause the false driver error you saw, and it can cause other false errors because of bad A/D readings if the logic power is fluctating.
DanKSI
Re: Question on M1 Driver Fault error

Post by DanKSI »

I found that my ReadError function call had inverted the byte order of the Error response :oops: . The M1 Drive Fault error was in fact a M1 Overcurrent Warning. What I was hearing was probably the overcurrent condition occurring. I am going to try using the combined channel mode to see if that will be enough to alleviate the overcurrent condition.