USB Roboclaw Windows Driver & IonMotion 1.6.6

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
raymond2204
USB Roboclaw Windows Driver & IonMotion 1.6.6

Post by raymond2204 »

After following the instructions in install.pdf, the "Communication Device Class ASF Example" does not appear in Devicemanager.Ports (COM & LPT), whereas inserting/removing a Due does show up correctly.

IonMotion.Device.Connect generates:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at IonMotion.Form1.connectToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
IonMotion
Assembly Version: 1.6.6.27169
Win32 Version: 1.6.6
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/NZDOP0MV.DC6/9ECPDM7H.RLC/ionm..tion_0000000000000000_0001.0000_d4c67f5e7d69595b/IonMotion.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.6.1068.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization
Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll
FastColoredTextBox
Assembly Version: 2.15.10.0
Win32 Version: 2.15.10.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/NZDOP0MV.DC6/9ECPDM7H.RLC/ionm..tion_0000000000000000_0001.0000_d4c67f5e7d69595b/FastColoredTextBox.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.6.1067.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
TabStrip
Assembly Version: 2.0.2523.29272
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/NZDOP0MV.DC6/9ECPDM7H.RLC/ionm..tion_0000000000000000_0001.0000_d4c67f5e7d69595b/TabStrip.DLL
System.DirectoryServices
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.DirectoryServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.DirectoryServices.dll
System.ServiceProcess
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll
RoboclawClassLib
Assembly Version: 1.2.5793.17585
Win32 Version: 1.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/NZDOP0MV.DC6/9ECPDM7H.RLC/ionm..tion_0000000000000000_0001.0000_d4c67f5e7d69595b/RoboclawClassLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Basicmicro Support
Re: USB Roboclaw Windows Driver & IonMotion 1.6.6

Post by Basicmicro Support »

IonMotion 1.6.6 will crash if you try to connect when no Roboclaw has been detected and it wont detect the Roboclaw until USB sees the board.

In the Device Manager do you see any unknown devices? Also do you hear windows ding when you plug the Roboclaw into the PC?

Note the roboclaw must be powered externally. It will not take power from the USB cable.
raymond2204

Post by raymond2204 »

acidtech wrote: In the Device Manager do you see any unknown devices?
Which category? There are a great many and I am unfamiliar as to what should be there.
acidtech wrote:Also do you hear windows ding when you plug the Roboclaw into the PC?
No, but it does when I connect a UNO.
acidtech wrote:Note the roboclaw must be powered externally. It will not take power from the USB cable.
Board powered from a 12V battery.

Additional question, which pins from an Arduino.cc UNO connect to S1& S2 when Roboclaw 2 X 60 is configured as packetSerial, 38400? If I use RoboClaw roboclaw(0,1,10000); the program hangs even when not connected to Robclaw, RoboClaw roboclaw(10,11,10000); does not hang but as I understand it these pins cannot communicate hardware serial.

Also, upload fails if Uno is connected to Roboclaw S1 & S2.

Thanks
raymond2204
Reinstall & Screenshots

Post by raymond2204 »

Device driver reinstalled, .pdf or .docx screenshots are not attached as attachment facility is disabled.

There was no change in behaviour from that noted above after the reinstall.

Running Windows7-64. Note that Atmel Studio 7 is installed and I have been using Atmel ICE but not concurrently with Roboclaw - might there be a conflict? Visual Studio 2015 + VisualMicro also installed.
Basicmicro Support

I also use Atmel ICE and have not had any conflict so that shouldnt be a worry.

If the USB is installed correctly it will be under Ports in the Device Manager. If it isnt installed correctly it should be under Unknown Devices or something like that.

If the board is not being seen at all, fist try resetting the default settings. Hold the middle button on the Roboclaw while powering up. Then let go of the button after a few seconds. Then try plugging in the USB cable.

Note, I had a customer yesterday who had a USB cable that could only be used to charge phones. It apparently had no data lines in it. He switched the cable and bingo the board started showing up. Any chance that is the case here?

Assuming it isnt the cable and it still doesnt show up after the settings are reset then the USB connector must be damaged. In that case send it in to us an we will repair or replace the board. Ship to our address on the contacts page and include your return address and note stating the USB problem.
raymond2204

Post by raymond2204 »

acidtech wrote: Hold the middle button on the Roboclaw while powering up. Then let go of the button after a few seconds. Then try plugging in the USB cable.
letting go of the button left the SET button flashing in current mode until I pressed LIPO. pop-up "Communication Device Class ASF example (COM 16) is ready to use"
acidtech wrote: Note, I had a customer yesterday who had a USB cable that could only be used to charge phones. It apparently had no data lines in it. He switched the cable and bingo the board started showing up. Any chance that is the case here?
I am now using a 5-pin USB cable, previously was using cables to connect external disk drives.

IonMotion (1.6.6) now shows USB Roboclaw 2 X 60A (CO. However all other boxes are zero, excepting including Model & Version which are blank.

Device.Connect has no effect.

Update causes a pop-up of "Roboclaw Bootloader" but the suggested LED sequence does not occur, rather Mode is ON, all others off. Also powering off, then on with MODE pressed has no effect other than SET button displays current mode, which LIPO cancels.

I then set mode to 15 and restarted IonMotion. IonMotion (1.6.6) again shows USB Roboclaw 2 X 60A (CO. However all other boxes are blank, including Model & Version.

I notice that MODE is flickering but returns to solid if I close IonMotion.

Additional question, which pins from an Arduino.cc UNO connect to S1& S2 when Roboclaw 2 X 60 is configured as packetSerial, 38400? If I use RoboClaw roboclaw(0,1,10000); the program hangs even when not connected to Robclaw, RoboClaw roboclaw(10,11,10000); does not hang but as I understand it these pins cannot communicate hardware serial.

Also, upload fails if Uno is connected to Roboclaw S1 & S2.
Basicmicro Support

If the SET button starts blinking when you hold it on power up it means you have older firmware on your Roboclaw that doesnt have the "power up reset defaults" option.

Now that you have the board showing up, you will need to update the firmware. To do thet you do not click the Device/Connect menu option. Just click the Update button on the first screen when IonMotion opens.

Since you have older firmware you may have an older model roboclaw whose bootloader can not be entered automatically. In that case you need to hole the MODE button when powering the board up to get it into bootloader mode(the three LEDs will start cycling). Then open IonMotion and click the Update button.
raymond2204

Post by raymond2204 »

acidtech wrote:... you need to hole the MODE button when powering the board up to get it into bootloader mode(the three LEDs will start cycling). Then open IonMotion and click the Update button.
This does not work, once I release MODE, SET flashes continuously.

I also tried booting ROBOCLAW with SET depressed or LIPO depressed. None of the three possibilities cause the LEDs to flash in sequence.

Can this board be exchanged with the UK distributor which supplied it?

Thanks.
Basicmicro Support

You may have an older board without the bootloader. But it would be several years old. One last thing to try is to hold the Lipo button while powering up the board. If the LEDs still dont cycle it is definitely a board without the bootloader.

Also, there should be a version V# silkscreened on the PCB. Let me know what it is. Older boards that shipped before we had the bootloader can be updated to use it(if they have a USB connector) but they have to be sent in for the update. Which UK reseller did you purchase it from?
raymond2204

Post by raymond2204 »

acidtech wrote:You may have an older board without the bootloader. But it would be several years old. One last thing to try is to hold the Lipo button while powering up the board.
Already tried that, as above.
acidtech wrote:Also, there should be a version V# silkscreened on the PCB.

The underside of the board is simply red. Topside, excepting terminal & component markings there is only "V4", which is a white square with "V4" inscribed within.
acidtech wrote:Which UK reseller did you purchase it from?

Technobots Ltd, 14th June 2015.

This has consumed a monumental amount of time without result and I wish to find a route to getting the basic Arduino examples working promptly.

What is the latest version of the board which has been released for sale?

Thanks.