Mixed Mode commands 10, 11 and 13

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
mabrouk
Mixed Mode commands 10, 11 and 13

Post by mabrouk »

I just upgraded to the new version 4.1.13, updated my application to account for the new changes like crc16 and tried to run it. Moving forward and in reverse worked but turning left or right does not work. The commands that do not work are 10, 11, and 13 even though I get back the ACK byte but the motors do not run.

Did anyone run into the same issue? did anyone upgraded at all?
Basicmicro Support
Re: Mixed Mode commands 10, 11 and 13

Post by Basicmicro Support »

I split this off from the other topic since it isn't really a direct firmware issue. This was a correction for incorrectly functioning commands.

In the new firmware, when using any of the Sabertooth compatible mixed mode commands you must now send both a forward/backward command and a turn command initially before the motors will start moving.

This has always been in the documentation but the old firmware did not do this correctly. Now it does. So to move forward or backward without turning you still have to give a turn command of 0 power along with the forward/backward command initially. after having given both a turn and forward/backward command you can then send single commands to change the current movement as long as you don't send any of the individual Sabertooth compatible motor commands. Those reset the internal variables that hold the latest forward/backward and turn values.

I do recommend using the higher resolution Duty/DutyAccel commands instead though.
mabrouk

Post by mabrouk »

Thanks for the reply.

can you please point me to the documentation that describe that? 'This has always been in the documentation"
I don't seem to find anything that explains what you're talking about in the old manual version 4.1.4 or the latest I can find 4..1.11 which is behind the current firmware version but that's another issue.

The second thing is that you mentioned the Sabertooth commands? what are theoe and where are they described? again I failed to find info on them in your manual maybe there is another document that I am not aware of it.

I am having a hard time following your suggestion can you please state clearly what are the steps to have the motors move forward, in reverse and to turn left and right and please specify the commands numbers as they are described in your manual.

Thanks
mabrouk

Post by mabrouk »

An update on my previous post. I think I figured out what you meant by the Sabertooth commands these are commnads 8 - 13?

it says to send valid drive and turn commands - the question is then which drive command to send? there are 2 8 & 9 which one you need to send with the turn command. it does depend on the turn like if you are trying to turn left you send a different drive CMD than if you are trying to turn right? not clear to me
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

You can send any mixed drive commands only when you are using the mixed commands. You can use the mixedforward, mixedbackward or mixedforwardbackward commands. Then you must use either turnleft,turnright or rightleft commands. After sending the second command the motors will start moving. Once you have got the motors moving you can send single mixed commands(turn or drive commands) to change the movement.

When using these compatibility commands you can only use the mixed commands(8 thru 13). If you use any of the individual Sabertooth commands (ForwardM1, BackwardM1, ForwardM2, backwardM2, ForwardBackwardM1, ForwardBackwardM2) it will reset the internal variables used to work with the Mixed commands(8 thru 13) and you will have to start all over again.