User Manual Typo

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
robof
User Manual Typo

Post by robof »

There appears to be a typo in the roboclaw user manual.

For command 61 it shows the parameter order is D, P, I, ... when I believe it should be P, I, D.

Code: Select all

61 - Set Motor 1 Position PID Constants
The RoboClaw Position PID system consist of seven constants starting with P = Proportional, I=
Integral and D= Derivative, MaxI = Maximum Integral windup, Deadzone in encoder counts,
MinPos = Minimum Position and MaxPos = Maximum Position. The defaults values are all zero.
Send: [Address, 61, D(4 bytes), P(4 bytes), I(4 bytes), MaxI(4 bytes),
Deadzone(4 bytes), MinPos(4 bytes), MaxPos(4 bytes), CRC(2 bytes)]
Basicmicro Support
Re: User Manual Typo

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The manual is correct. It is a hold over from a long time ago. Setting the motor PID was DPI, while reading the PID values was PID.

In the arduino library we rearranged the arduino function order so it was also PID to hide this but the actual packet serial command is still in the DPI order.
robof

Post by robof »

OK I see now, sorry. The manual is different than the Python library I was using, but the internal call does in fact match the manual.

Maybe someone else will see this and think to check the function parameters instead of manual parameters.

def SetM1PositionPID(self,address,kp,ki,kd,kimax,deadzone,min,max):
		return self._write4444444(address,self.Cmd.SETM1POSPID,long(kd*1024),long(kp*1024),long(ki*1024),kimax,deadzone,min,max)
sdooley

Post by sdooley »

Another issue I found on page 95/96.
The Packet Serial commands 52 and 53 both specify that the Accel values are 2 bytes.

Send: [Address, 52, Duty(2 bytes), Accel(2 Bytes), CRC(2 bytes)]
Receive: [0xFF]
After a lot of frustration, I read through some of the provided libraries and found them to be 4 bytes.

Related, is the accel value range which says it is between 0 and 655359 which is also wrong.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Thanks for the information. I've added it to our User Manual Todo.