General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
DillonMEK
Ion Studio not seeing RoboClaw device

Post by DillonMEK »

I have a number of your devices - 3 of the 2X15A and 2 of the 2X30A

They are all V5E

I am having problems getting the Ion Studio software to detect these devices

My setup is a Windows 10 desktop PC
I am powering the board with a Bench Power Supply, using 12VDC, as that is what my motors will need

I had to manually install the drivers from your site to get it to show up in the Ports list, where it now shows up with "Communications Device Class ASF Example"
I am not getting "RoboClaw" showing up anywhere on my device list, and ion studio does not seem to be detecting it

I have also tried it in "Bootloader" mode, as suggested elsewhere in this forum, but still to no avail

Dillon
Basicmicro Support
Re: Ion Studio not seeing RoboClaw device

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Right click the device in Device Manager and click Properties. What does the status display?

In the Properties window click the Details tab. Then click the drop down and select "Bus Reported Device Description". What is the value?

Make sure you have the latest Ion Studio(not Ion Motion) software. Latest firmware version is 4.1.23 as well.

Try a second USB cable.

Try a second Windows PC.

Note 1: The currently shipping version of the 2x15 and 2x30 are V5E. No major difference between them and V5D.

Note 2: If you will be using a power supply you need to set the maximum main battery voltage to 1 to 2v above the power supply voltage. Otherwise when running the motors you could cause large voltage spikes when slowing down the motor. Power supplies usually will not sink regeneration current.
DillonMEK
Re: Ion Studio not seeing RoboClaw device

Post by DillonMEK »

Solved this - the USB port on the old laptop I was using was not great