Has Packet Serial mode to be activated through USB port?

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
Penguine
Has Packet Serial mode to be activated through USB port?

Post by Penguine »

I've two latest Roboclaw 2x15A.
I made a project: througt PC client, send command to Arduino Leonardo, then control two motors by Roboclaw.
I tried Roboclaw Arduino example program, flashed to Leonardo . Neither works. I found STAT1 blinked , confirmed Roboclaw received commands. But SATA2 kept silent, no drive!
As I connect Roboclaw to PC through USB port "to activate drive", even through I pull out the cable, the Roboclaw can work as I supposed. But I have to re-activate the Roboclaw through PC USB connection after power off the Roboclaw then power on each time!
Firmware and Arduino Libarary are latest.
Baud rate is correct. Leonarde PIN adjusted multi-times.
Penguine
Re: Has Packet Serial mode to be activated through USB port?

Post by Penguine »

Try more times, to PIN 5, 6, Baud rate @19200 or 9600, can work. But it locks itself, i.e. you have to send a command to stop, otherwise, it won't stop while no signal at all, even if disconnect all the wires to S1&S2. Any way to solve it? It's related to safety.
I haven't tried E-Stop. It shall assist. To stop driving, which level shall be applied, low level?
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

In packet serial mode the motors wont stop just because you disconnect the signal lines(eg S1 and S2). Unlike RC mode there is no qaruntee when signals will be sent in packetserial mode. Only RC mode supports a timeout for turning the motors off if no new pulses are received(thats its default setting actually).

Im assuming you got the board working based on your second post. If not please post a little more detail. I suspect mostlikely you needed to update the firmware. We just had a major change that makes all the old examples and libraries incompatible. We dont expect any new changes that will break things like that again.
Penguine

Post by Penguine »

Supposed the leoparde board is not compatiable with roboclaw well! Baud rate at 38400 has to be "activated" through USB connection, and PWM pins seems work differently. Now, 9600 or 19200 works well, high baud rate not. Since in packet serial mode, there is no default fail safe setup, I have to include S3.
Thanks for your response.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Did you try 57600 as well? Also if you are using Leonardo(I assume that was what you mean since I've never heard of a "Leoparde" arduino), the lenadro arduino boards have a seperate hardware uart you can use while still use the leonardos USB connection. I recommend using hardware uarts because other interrupts cant cause problems with it like they can with software serial on arduino.