[SOLVED] Firmware update timing out

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
lensfocus
[SOLVED] Firmware update timing out

Post by lensfocus »

Hello,

I just purchased my first RoboClaw, a 2x5A.

I powered the board and plugged in a USB after installing the USB/serial drivers, and ran the IonMotion software.
The first time it recognized the board, and showed the board number in the drop-down tab.

When I clicked "Connect", it showed a message that said that the firmware needed upgrading. So I clicked the Firmware update button. After a second or two, a message came up that said "Unexpected communications error: The operation has timed out."

Now, when I power up the board, the LEDs flash sequentially (the bootloader is running always), and only the serial port number is displayed in the drop-down tab, not the board ID. But when I press the Firmware update button, the same timeout message shows up, and the board seems to hang (only the first LED is lit).

How can I reload the firmware?

Thanks!
skcolb
Re: Firmware update timing out

Post by skcolb »

I am experiencing a very similar if not the same issue. Can't connect to my RoboClaw, and it always powers up in bootloader mode. After timing out with IonMotion, the board seems to be locked up.
caleedubya

Post by caleedubya »

Ditto, same problem here? Anyone know how to get out of bootloader mode?
heimrobert

Post by heimrobert »

My 2x15A Roboclaw do the same... The new software recognised the board as RC15A32KULDR. When i click connect the software say "connect error disable bootloader mode" When i click update a window come up and say "Unexpected communications error: The operation has timed out." The mode and the lipo buttons swapped...

How can I reload the firmware?

Thanks!
pedrinid

Post by pedrinid »

hello, same problem with 2x15A

edit
reloaded with windows8 machine and old ionmotion fw and re-updated, works ok
heimrobert

Post by heimrobert »

Dear pedrinit!

Can you send me an old software and fw by email? Can you wright me step by step how did you repair your board.

Many thanks

Robert
caleedubya

Post by caleedubya »

Send it to me to please.

Thanks!
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

I think I know the problem. I changed the read timeouts to 10ms across the board in IonMotion. That is because packetserial has a maximum of 10ms delay for timeouts. However I also changed the readtimeout for the firmware update code which is not quite long enough. It can take a little longer than 10ms to write a block of data to the flash(depending on the unit being written to). And of course my test units all owrked under the 10ms delay.

I've chaneged the timeout back to 100ms for the firmware update code and am uploading the update now. Should be available in about 30 minutes.
lensfocus

Post by lensfocus »

Sweet! I just tried it again after your fix, and the firmware update works fine now. Thanks!
caleedubya

Post by caleedubya »

It works!

Thanks for the help!