Startup of the RoboClaw 2x60

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
zunge
Startup of the RoboClaw 2x60

Post by zunge »

Hi Forum

is it normal, that the RoboClaw 2x60A (V4) is turning on the Powerstage for about 1 secound after powering it up?

i use the Analog mode and from the beginning the input value is 1V. but the controller runs the motor for about 1s after power on. i use the controller in a traction system and so every time i swtich the system on, the car moves.

is there a timeout or something that can be configured or is it just a bug in the firmware?
i did not try other modes, because i will use the analog mode.

cheers zunge
Basicmicro Support
Re: Startup of the RoboClaw 2x60

Post by Basicmicro Support »

It should not move during power up unless homing has been enabled. PLease check if it happens in other modes on your board. I will test it here as well.

Also what are you using to provide the analog signal and how is it wired to the roboclaw?
Basicmicro Support

I beleive I found the issue. Try the new firmware and let me know if it doesnt fix your problem.
zunge

Post by zunge »

Hi

thanks for the new firmware, will try it as soon as i can lay my hands at the controller again (will be in the next two weeks) let you know.

cheers zunge
zunge

Post by zunge »

Hi

so i finally got the time to test your new Firmware.

it's not working at all know !!!

what i did:

i connected the Roboclaw to my laptop, startet the ionmotion software (updated this first) then i made a firmware update on the roboclaw controller. it has now the FW 4.1.16 its a 2x60a Version.
then i testet the controller in my system witch is still the same. i got a idle Voltage of 1V, up to 2 Volts for FW-Direction, down to 0V for REV-Direction.

as soon as i switch the power on, the motor starts spinning. my voltage controlls nothing.
when i reconnect with the ionmotion SW it still spinns, as soon as i read the settings the controller switsches to normal operation as expected. the software shows all the parameter i programmed earlier. so i write the parameters agian to the controller to be shure its not a FW update thing. but this makes it not better. as soon as i unplug th USB the controller switsches again in the cracy mode and spinns the motore uncontrollable.

any idea?

i checked the power supply and everithing. all good.

the fun thing is, the controller works fine in analog mode with the USB attached and SW runnign ...

is there a startupproblem in your FW?

best regards Zunge
Basicmicro Support

4.1.16 has been out for a long while at this point and no one else has had this problem so its probably not endemic to the firwmare version.

You had a pretty old board so Im guessing some old NVM settings may be messing things up. Open IonMotion and reset everything to Defaults(Use the Device Menu "Defaults" option). Then power cycle the board and change all your settings back to the what you need them to be.

Also, if you are trying to use Packet Serial commands you need to either update to our latest library or modify your old code to use the new CRC16 checksum instead of the old 7bit checksum.