Error double blink - How to reset

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
CABrouwers
Error double blink - How to reset

Post by CABrouwers »

The error led on mynew RoboClaw 2x30A Motor Controller keeps blinking twice. And Stat 2 is on.
I read it means : "Motors freewheel. RoboClaw has detected damage."
What does it mean (Freewheel ?). What can I do ?
Basicmicro Support
Re: Error double blink - How to reset

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The double blink error with Stat1 or Stat2 set now indicates a motor driver failure.

1. This can becaused if the MB/LB jumper is not installed and you are not powering the board with a seperate logic battery on LB+-.

2. The motor driver has been damaged by a voltage spike(over 50v or under approx -3v). Voltage spikes can happens because very long battery wires are used or very small diameter wires(relative to the load being driven). Voltage spikes can also be cause by usign a power supply without the abolity to handle the regenerative power from the motor(can see spikes 10 times your power supply voltage). If this is the case(actually damaged driver chip) you will have to send the board in to us to repair. There is no charge, just include the return shipping address inside the package.

Note: We are sitting on a handful of repairs people sent in because we have no idea who they should ship back to because the only return address was on the outside of the box and destroyed beyonf recognition so it is very important you include the return address inside the box.
CABrouwers

Post by CABrouwers »

---------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by CABrouwers on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CABrouwers

Post by CABrouwers »

Thanks for your quick reply. I will check the jumper and potentially send the device back if I don't find a solution. I did have a problem with a loose connector between the driver and a motor and perhaps the impedance of the connection was too high at some pint. In any case, it is surprising the driver is not better protected for a high end product. Things always happen ! Do you recommend to add protection components in the circuit ?
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Just want to say you cant make a motor contorller that is protected against all possibilities(even the $700 Elmo motor driver boards can get damaged by their users). We make very good motor controllers for a very good price. We use parts that are rated much higher than we spec the boards for(eg 60v mosfets, 50v caps, 50v mosfet drivers etc...).