Motion Studio does not show M1 Encoder value

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
simons
Motion Studio does not show M1 Encoder value

Post by simons »

Hello,

I want to use a RoboClaw 2x15A to control a motor with a raspberry pi. To check if everything is working I installed the Motion Studio on my Laptop with Windows10 and started playing around with the tool itself.

In the user manual it is stated, that when playing with the PWM settings, the motor should turn (it does) and show the encoder value. But it does not show the encoder value. No error Code is displayed on the RoboClaw itself.

Things I tried already:
-Using another motor with the same encoder, to make sure the encoder is not the fault
-reversing the motor wires and recheck
-reversing the encoder wires and recheck.

What can be the problem?
The encoder I am using is this one: http://www.micromotors.eu/encoder_technical_data.html

Thanks in advance
Simon S
Basicmicro Support
Re: Motion Studio does not show M1 Encoder value

Post by Basicmicro Support »

I will need to know what motor and encoder you are using. Please provide a link with the information.

Some encoders require external pullups to produce a valid signal(the pullup determines the voltage level allowing the encoder to work with many types of controllers with different signalling levels). I suspect your encoder may need them. If that is the case a 1k from each signal line to 5v should get it working.

If that isnt the case I'll need to see how you have everything wired up.
simons

Post by simons »

The motor I am using is the E192-2S.12.625
http://www.micromotors.eu/planetary_gea ... _e192.html

with the linked encoder. Unfortunately there are not any more infos regarding the encoder.

I played around with the connection between the RoboClaw and the motor encoder and found a weird behaviour:
1. When plugging the connector (motor side) out and in again, the encoder value changes in the Motion Studio a little bit. Just like +-2 or +-4 .
2. Also: when I plug 5V to EN1A the value changes to "1" and on EN1B to "-1". But it goes back to 0 when I disconnect the 5V.
Basicmicro Support

The website says the encoder A and B pins are O.C. which I take to mean "open colector". This means you need a pull-up resistor on both A and B. The pullup resistor value for each pin should be between 1k and 10k.
simons

Post by simons »

Thank you for your reply.

I tested one encoder with the pull-up resistors (3.6k Ohm) and didn't get a pulsed signal, measured with an oscilloscope. For testing, i tried to observe the PWM signal from the motor, that worked.

I will check the other encoder on tuesday, because it might be, that the encoder I just tested is broken.

Keep you updated.
Simon
Basicmicro Support

That is possible. Double check how you wired up the pullup resistor. Make sure you are providing proper power to the encoder as well.
simons

Post by simons »

I just tested the other encoder and it works now. Seems like the first encoder is broken,
I added the pull up resistors the the circuit.

Thank you for the fast help!