Over Current on one of the motor drives

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
haj
Over Current on one of the motor drives

Post by haj »

Hello there,

I am currently working for a Project where we're using two RoboClaw 2x7a. Which are both wired to 2 DC-Motors. Which makes 4 DC Motors in total.
Motors we're using: http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-96-gear-hea ... shaft.aspx

My Problem is, that for one of the two motor drives on one of the two RoboClaws I constantly get a warning of over current when accelerating out of standstill (in basicmicro motion studio: blinking yellow OC2 sign and current going up to near 4A, normal behaviour thereafter). This then also causes, that I cannot perform a full PID autotune for that channel and I have to restart the Programm.
Usually, the motors should not consume more than 1.5A, which is the case for the other three motor channels.
I can only perform the autotune for the mentioned channel, if I set the max. current for that channel to 5A or so, which is not preferable.
What I also notice, is that in the phase where the overcurrent occurs, the connected motor does not move.

What I tried already;
-Switching up the DC motors to see if the Problem lies within them. However, it's still the same channel which acts as mentioned
-Powering the whole System with an external DC Power supply where I could read off the current being used in the whole system. It showed, that not even the current being used in the whole system was as high as shown on the basicmicro motion studio.

My question now is: Could there be something wrong with the RoboClaw itself?

Thank you for your help
Basicmicro Support
Re: Over Current on one of the motor drives

Post by Basicmicro Support »

On the channel you are getting the over current on, if it happens at low duty/power you need to adjust the current blanking percentage in Motion studio. It defaults to 5.4%. Change it to between 7% and 9%. That should clear up any false overcurrent readings.