Hall Effect Encoders on 2x7A Motor Controller

Questions about using encoders with the Roboclaw product line
garabicss

Hall Effect Encoders on 2x7A Motor Controller

Post by garabicss » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:50 am

Hi, I am working with your 2x7A motor controller and am having issues with getting the board to read my hall effect encoders. The motor I am using is the PGM36 which can be found here : http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-1081-planet ... -2641.aspx and on this motor there is a hall effect encoder which can be found here : http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/jpg/en ... -16ppr.jpg. The overall goal will be to use two of these motors at the same time off of the 2x7A board. Right now I am unable to get the encoder values to populate in basic micro motion studio. I have the first motor wired to receive the power from pins M1A and M1B, as well as powering the encoder from the 5V + pin and the GND or - pin. I then have the encoder wired to EN1A and EN1B with the hall sensor A wire going to EN1A and the hall sensor B wire going to EN1B. I tested the encoder with an oscilloscope and received two square waves, one coming from hall sensor A and one from hall sensor B which seem to be shifted by 90 degrees like they should be and are showing a delta voltage of 5.04 volts. A picture of the oscilloscope output can be seen here :
thumbnail_Image1.jpg
thumbnail_Image1.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Everything seems to be working the way that it should be but again I am getting no encoder values in the motion studio software. They just remain as 0's. Does anyone know why this might be? Do I need to do some other preliminary steps in order to get this to work?

Basicmicro Support

Re: Hall Effect Encoders on 2x7A Motor Controller

Post by Basicmicro Support » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 am

In Motion Studio go to device menu and click Restore Defaults. Retest the encoders.

Factory defaults are for quadrature encoders so assuming something we set wrong previously this should work.

If it does not double check your signal wires are on the correct pins. The encoder pins are in a row starting from the edge of the board.

Based on the quadrature signal you should be seeing encoder values changing. There aren't very many things that can be wrong. Settings for encoder mode(Restore Defaults will fix that). Wiring the correct pins, your description says that is right but double check. Something wrong with the board, very unlikely since we do test the encoder pins along with all the other I/O before shipping but does happen.