Manual Homing

Questions about using encoders with the Roboclaw product line
rantangan
Manual Homing

Post by rantangan »

Firstly, I tried to search but I kept getting "too common words" message. I'd like to be able to move my axes (more than 1 roboclaw 2x) to their respective homes in a very particular sequence upon power up. What command can I use to home each axis individually. I set S4 and S5 to home (user) mode.

Thanks in advance
Basicmicro Support
Re: Manual Homing

Post by Basicmicro Support »

That was the first part, setting the inputs to Home(user). This will allow the switch to be triggered when the motor is moving backwards. The second thing to do is make sure when the motor is moving "backwards" it is moving toward the sensor/switch. If it isnt swap the motor wires or set the reverse motor check box.

Once you have done this, after power up you can use any motor movement commands you want to move the motor into the limit switch. There is no "Home" command. Usually you will use a Duty command or a speed command to move the motor. The only time you would use a Position command is if you are not using a cascaded velocity/position PID tuning(eg PIV).

In that rare case, you will need to specify a negative position(position will be 0 on power up) that is well outside the maximum movement you would need to hit your limit switch. Eg if your maximum range of movement is 1000 then move to a position of at least -1000 to garuntee hitting the limit during the move.

When the limit is triggered it will stop the motor, as long as you have the motor direction set correctly. Note if your motor is moving "forward" into the Home sensor it will not stop. Limit switches are directionally sensitive.