velocity autotune not updating PID values and crashing if retrying

Questions about using encoders with the Roboclaw product line
felix
velocity autotune not updating PID values and crashing if retrying

Post by felix »

Hi,
I'm having a problem with 2 new 2x60A roboclaws (I have another pair already in use without problem).
I put all the parameters as before (except for a few invert/non invert due to not doing again the connexion "errors" we did last time).
PWM mode works fine.
Velocity with manual PID settings works fine.

Velocity autotune don't work properly:
- when running it the first time, the motors move back and forth, then stops. But the PID values are not updated
- when running autotune a second time (on the same motor or on the other one), Basicmicro Motion Studio freezes.

Do you have any idea where the problem might come from?

I already checked that each motor is connected to the correct encoder, and that velocity is positive when pwm is positive.
The Roboclaws are new (shiped a few weeks ago), Basicmicro Motion Studio is in version 1.0.0.64

Thanks a lot in advance
Best regards
Felix

PS : if possible, I would rather not have to test on the working Roboclaws, as they are mounted inside the robot and it requires about 1 hour for 3 people in order to access them. If really needed, I can still do it.
Basicmicro Support
Re: velocity autotune not updating PID values and crashing if retrying

Post by Basicmicro Support »

If the autotuner fails it will not update the PID values.

The autotuner first moves back and forth slowly. This is to get an approximate QPPS. Then it will oscillate back and forth fast. When this second stage does not happen(or appears not to happen) it usually indicates an encoder problem.

What is the load on your motors when you run the autotuner? What are you powering the 2x60A with when running the tuner.

Please explain the inverted/non-inverted settings changes you mentioned and why you needed them?(This is where the problem is, is my guess).