Newbie - question on default values for speed & accel

Questions about using encoders with the Roboclaw product line
ronstory
Newbie - question on default values for speed & accel

Post by ronstory »

Hi--

I'm new to the roboclaw and most of my experience with servos is using custom LM628/629 HW. I trying to understand how the RC works.

In the LM628 world, I would program a single max acceleration values (same value for both accel and decel) and set a max speed along with the PID settings. Once that was done I could just do position movement and velocity movements (if less than the programmed max velocity).

The doc seems a little vague on accel and decel. There is a way to set the default accel and speed, but it's doesn't mention decel. Is default decel the same as the accel? I'm asking since the RC had commands that allow you to set different accel and decel values in a single motion command.

Also... why doe the document refer to the term "deccel"? Decceleration is not a word, but deceleration is. ;^)

Thanks,
Ron
Thanks,
Ron 2x7A
Basicmicro Support
Re: Newbie - question on default values for speed & accel

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Defaults are used in RC mode and in commands that dont have explicit settings for them. Eg a M1Speed command would use the default accel setting.

If you are unsure what is being used I recommend always sticking with the advanced commands with all the specific arguments you need. Note the SpeedAccel commands do not have a Decel argument because they are either accelerating from a slower speed or decelerating from a faster speed so only need on argument. Unlike the Position commands which are point to point movements and need to accel and decel in a single command.
ronstory
Re: Newbie - question on default values for speed & accel

Post by ronstory »

Thanks! I'll be used the packet serial model, so should be good to go.

Ron
Thanks,
Ron 2x7A