Motors trying to go beyond the HOMING position

Questions about using encoders with the Roboclaw product line
tiffo
Motors trying to go beyond the HOMING position

Post by tiffo »

Roboclaw 2x15A, fw 4.1.19. Sometimes one motor controlled in POSITION keeps going backward even if it reached the Home position and the Homing switch has been pressed. Even setting the encoders to zero does not help: as soon as I set any positive reference, the motor starts spinning backward. I uploaded a video here

https://youtu.be/IlK4uHjhlTg

Usually this situation happens when the motor misses some steps. So to trigger this bug, do as follows:
- Set the reference encoder to a certain positive value and let the motor reach the commanded value
- unplug the motor and pull the motor backward some steps
- plug the motor again and set the reference position to 0

the motor will reach zero and will continue regardless the homing switch has been pressed
Last edited by tiffo on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiffo
Re: Motors trying to go beyond the HOMING position

Post by tiffo »

I want to add some other details:
> This problem happens ONLY if the Acceleration/Deceleration/Velocity settings in the Position tab are not zero.
> It looks the motor is trying to reach the previous command before starting to go forward again. In fact I moved the motor with PWM commands and then I gave a Position command. I saw the motor going backward and then going forward to the commanded position

MY SUGGESTION: allow the internal reference position to be reset once the motors are stop!
Basicmicro Support
Re: Motors trying to go beyond the HOMING position

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Please contact support@ionmc.com. We have a pre-release version with 4.1.20 firmware that should correct this problem.