User manual clarification using commands 65 - 67

Questions about using encoders with the Roboclaw product line
lensfocus
User manual clarification using commands 65 - 67

Post by lensfocus »

Hi,

I am using a Roboclaw 2x7A with one motor, and just got command 65 to work properly.

It turns out that I needed to set QPPS using command 28 first (or save it to the EPROM from IonMotion). The manual doesn't really make it clear that QPPS is necessary for position mode..

I had set QPPS to 300,000 (my max motor PPS) in IonMotion when I was testing, but didn't save the value to the eprom. So the default QPPS was still zero. So when I tried setting PID values using command 61 using my controller, they were set properly, but the motor just ran away when I tried to move it. I then actually saved the QPPS value from IonMotion and then my code started working. I found out that I could set the QPPS value using command 28 and that worked the same as if I saved the QPPS value from IonMotion. But the manual says that command 28 is only for velocity mode, and doesn't specify that QPPS needs to be set when using position mode (commands 65 - 67).

So, I just want to make sure I am understanding this properly. By the way, I am very impressed with this device!
Basicmicro Support
Re: User manual clarification using commands 65 - 67

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Page 57 of the manual. "Position Manual Calibration Procedure", step 1. says the Velocity mode QPPS value must be set as descibed in the Velocity Calibration procedures.
lensfocus
Re: User manual clarification using commands 65 - 67

Post by lensfocus »

Thanks for your reply! I obviously missed that. As I said, I think you have a great system.