Configuring an MCP236 to use encoders

Using encoders with the MCP product line
James
Configuring an MCP236 to use encoders

Post by James »

There is nowhere in the manual nor the datasheet, a detailed explanation of how to setup the controller options to use encoders. I'm referring to pin setups, specifically. For example, one of the possible functions of multiplexed pins 14 and 15 on the DB15 interface, is as channels A and B respectively for the encoder of Motor 1.
How will I go about selecting the pin functions to use these pins with a quadrature encoder? Do I set only one pin as 'quadrature' and the other is somehow automatically pulled in? Do I set both as 'quadrature?'
What about the 'Min,' 'Max,' 'center' values in the pin config? Command option?
Over each motor parameters in the General Settings tab, there is a drop down to select.. something... about the encoder attached to that motor. What does it select? Channel A pin? Channel B pin? Something else? Do I need to select it here as well after setting up the pin function? Do I ONLY need to select this and set the pin function to... something...?
The pictures in the manual show an entirely different interface, which I guess is for the RoboClaw controllers.

Now, pretend I am a mentally retarded 4-yo, and please explain the procedure in appropriate detail. Thank you.
Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
James
Re: Configuring an MCP236 to use encoders

Post by James »

*bump*

Anyone (other than BasicMicro's Support) that can provide any insight on the configuration of the MCPs?
Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Configuring an MCP236 to use encoders

Post by Basicmicro Support »

There are only 2 pins per quadrature channel. If one pin is set both will be set to quadrature mode.

Whether those pins are A or B is entirely up to how you wire them and the motor power wires.

Once you setup the pins as quadrature and wired your encoders you will be able to see the quadrature values in the status window at the bottom right of the screen in General Settings(when one of the quadrature pins is selected).

Until you connect a particular quadrature pair to a motor channel the encoder readings as the top of the screen will still show no actively.

Link one of the quadrature pins to a motor channel using the drop downs for Motor 1 and Motor 2 on the left/center of the general settings screen. Once you have done that you should see the encoders updating at the top of the screen.