Encoder Placement & How does the MCP263 read the signals?

Using encoders with the MCP product line
JorgeP
Encoder Placement & How does the MCP263 read the signals?

Post by JorgeP »

My main question, How does the MCP263 read the rotary encoders, is based off of some testing of the encoders I did before connecting them to the MCP263. When I tested my encoders which are 600 Pulses per rotation, my microcontroller can read both rising and falling edge of each channel giving me 2,400 pulses per rotation.

Does the MCP263 have options for selecting rising/falling edge, or both for the higher resolution? What exactly is being measured by default, rising, falling or both?

My second question may be a matter of preference but is there a proper location to place an encoder when using the MCP263? I have the option to place them on the motor shaft (before a gear train), or on the wheels (after the gear train). I am assuming the motor shaft before the gear train would give much finer control of wheel position as opposed to placing them after the step-down gear-train.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Encoder Placement & How does the MCP263 read the signals?

Post by Basicmicro Support »

The MCP inputs(when set to quadrature mode) reads all edges so you get 4 times the rated count of the encoder.

Before the gear train gives the highest resolution(counts per output shaft rotation) and its the recommended method.