Attaching RoboClaw to IonMotion Control

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
pglau
Attaching RoboClaw to IonMotion Control

Post by pglau »

Sorry, this has probably been asked, but forum search doesn't work. (Claims 'update firmware' or 'attach to IonMotion Control' are "too common" )

Any case. I've got a 15A Roboclaw. It's not new, several years old (probably 3 or 4). I have no idea what firmware is on it.

I've installed the windows Drivers and can see that it says "Communication Device Class ASF" in the Device Manager. I've also installed the IonMotion Control Software.

I've powered the Roboclaw and the Stat LED is solid Green and a USB cable is attached. I'm in Mode 7.

I open the IonMotion software and the "Attached Devices" is empty. I try switching the USB to different ports, it makes no difference, device never appears as an "Attached Device"

How do I:
1) get the IonMotion software to recognize the RoboClaw
2) baring that tell what version of firmware is installed.
3) update the firmware manually if need be.

Thank you for your help.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Attaching RoboClaw to IonMotion Control

Post by Basicmicro Support »

This usually indicates the firmware is old enough that the latest IonMotion can "see" the board. You need to put the board into bootloader mode manually(Hold the mode button while powering on the board, the 3 LEDs will begin to cycle). Now IonMotion should see the bootloader ID. Press the Update Firmware button. ONce the firmware is updated the board will reset and should show up properly in the device list.
MGS

Post by MGS »

I'm having a similar issue - my roboclaw shows up in the windows 8 device manager as "USB RoboClaw 2x45A" but is not recognized in Ion Motion. I tried starting in bootloader mode to no avail. Thanks for the help.
Basicmicro Support

Do you have the latest Ion Motion/Ion Studio software installed? If not your version may not recognise the 2x45A board. Also if it is in bootloader mode it will not show as USB Roboclaw 2x45A in the Device Manager. When the board is in bootloader mode the 3 leds will cycle in sequence.
MGS

Post by MGS »

After a lot of hair pulling, it turned out that my laptop's USB port is defective. Thanks for replying though.
Basicmicro Support

No problem. Let me know if there is anything we can help you with.