Encoder and Following Error

Questions about using encoders with the Roboclaw product line
PdoubleU
Encoder and Following Error

Post by PdoubleU »

Hello,

Is it somehow possible to read out the actual following error? Or is there a workaround that you could recommend?

Is it true that all encoder pins need 5V? Are you recommending any encoders that are reasonably priced and put out this 5V signal. I am asking since most encoders have a lot lower output signals...
Thanks
Basicmicro Support
Re: Encoder and Following Error

Post by Basicmicro Support »

There is no following error output currently. This is something we are planning on adding in the near future

I recommend US Digital or CUI encoders. They are available at reasonable prices($24 to $35 the last time I checked) and work well.
PdoubleU

Post by PdoubleU »

Hi,
Thenks for your response.

I got the encoder working using a pull up resistor.
But now, after a couple of days working fine I suddenly get a somehow strange behaviour.

For some reason the encoder counts are counting up itself rapidly as soon as the roboclaw is under power. when I turn the rotary encoder manually this will influence the count-up in a way that it slow down or accelerates the counts depending on which direction i turn the rotary encoder to.

When I suddenly turn the encoder very fast about 180 degree or so, the counting-up stops for some seconds before it starts again.

I guess, something is broken there, right?
Do you have any experience with this behaviour?

Thanks
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

I've never seen anything like it. Please check your actual signal values. Preferably with an Oscilloscope. Is the singal line static on both the A and B channels of the encoder?

How are you reading the encoder values to test this(IonStudio or your own packetserial commands).