RC drive stopped after upgrade to 4.1.29. Reset to defaults and reprogram resolved the issue.

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
rolf
RC drive stopped after upgrade to 4.1.29. Reset to defaults and reprogram resolved the issue.

Post by rolf »

Basic micro team,
I have a Robocla 2x45. I'm using RC control to drive the motors. After upgrading to 4.1.29 the motor drive stopped working completely. The board was working, it would connect to the studio software. I could control the motors via the controls in the studio software, but external RC input had no affect.
I came looking here for hints and came across a post where RC control changed behavior after 4.1.20 and before 4.1.29. Based on that hint I decided to try a reset to defaults and reprogram. That resolved my issue. I feel it is important that you and your development team understand the issue I encountered. I'm a software tester, I know that development can't fix what they aren't told about.
Basicmicro Support
Re: RC drive stopped after upgrade to 4.1.29. Reset to defaults and reprogram resolved the issue.

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Thank you for your information. This is actually a desired function. Firmware udpates reset the units to defaults most of the time. Some fimrware updates are minor and do not but in general you can assume they all reset the unit to factory defaults. This is because defaults are usually safe(there is one case where factory defaults would not be safe(bridged channel mode) but all other cases would prevent the unit from going out of control(eg unit is resedt back to packet serial mode and only valud CRC16 checked commands will be accepted).

This would have caused your RC mode to be changed back to packet serial mode.

Note to clarify: When updating firmware we recommend disconnecting bridged channels if you are using that feature(eg combined dual channels to drive a single motor). When the unit is reset to factory defaults if you run a motor channel while still bridged you could potentially damage one or both motor channels.
rolf
Re: RC drive stopped after upgrade to 4.1.29. Reset to defaults and reprogram resolved the issue.

Post by rolf »

Thanks for the clarification.