E Stop Status on Basic Micro Motion Studio

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
britonet
E Stop Status on Basic Micro Motion Studio

Post by britonet »

I have my Roboclaw 2x30A connected, and I setup a E-Stop, non latching, as explained in pp 45 of the manual:

S3 is set as default

S4 is disabled

S5 is set as E Stop. I am using a 1k Ohm resistor, 1/2 Watt to +5V. And the other end goes to a Normaly Open NO switch, as explained in the manual.

1. Does this configuration will stop both motors? That is what I understand from the manual.

2. In Basic Micro Motion Studio the status ESP stays in RED all the time, both when I send S5 to ground or +5V (using the 1k resistor), is this normal? I would expect the status to change RED-GREEN.

3. For +5 Volts I am using the +5V right above S5 and ground is the ground next to it, so I am using the whole row of S5. Is it right?

I am just testing the connections for the logic battery, so I have not connected the main battery yet.
Basicmicro Support
Re: E Stop Status on Basic Micro Motion Studio

Post by Basicmicro Support »

If you are using Packet Serial mode you need to set S3 to something other than Default. S3 defaults to a latching E-Stop when in packet serial mode. If any pin is set as a latching E-Stop ALL E-Stop pins will be latching. It will not let you have a combination of latching and non-latching E-Stop pins.

Fix that and let me know if you still have any problems with it.

Also I recommend you check the actual error using Motion Studio to see if something else may be causing the Error LED to be on all the time.
britonet

Post by britonet »

Ok, so just let me clarify something.

1. If I set S3, S4 and S5 to E stop non latching, does sending any one of them to ground will stop the motors?

2. In Motion Studio, the status ESP has to change colors when the NO switch is pressed and/released (red-green), right? Just to know what to expect.

In the manual it says you can use either S4 or S5 but it does not mention S3, that info is written in the first page where the connection with a NO switch is illustrated.
britonet

Post by britonet »

I changed all S3, S4 and S5 to E Stop non latching, and I am only using S5. It is working fine.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

If you only need one E-Stop pin I recommend using S3. But otherwise glad to hear you got it.