Did I fry my board? Is there something I can do?

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
UriShX
Did I fry my board? Is there something I can do?

Post by UriShX »

Hi,

I accidentally shorted the +5v and GND pins on a RoboClaw 2x30A.

It took me a few seconds to notice, but by then it seemed the board is fried. Disconnecting the board from both USB and connected peripherals, then re-connecting to USB after a while, I get no LEDs lit and no communication.
When connecting to PSU I get the LEDs lit, but still no USB communication.
The short circuit also seemed to have fried the USB port I was using, and might have even affected the cable.

Anyway, I got another board and have already finished and installed the project I got the board for, but now I seem to have a RoboClaw board with no USB connection, and I'm really not sure about it's main functions. I can't test right now as I don't have any DC motors laying around to test ATM.

So, my question is - how best to test if I really did fry the board, or just the USB controller, and in whichever case - can I do anythhing about it?

Thanks,
Uri Sh
Basicmicro Support
Re: Did I fry my board? Is there something I can do?

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Most likely the 5v regulator is damaged. You can send it in to have us look at it. If it is just the 5v regulator
there will be no charge for the repair.

Ship it to our contact address shown on the website. Include your return address and contact information on a note inside the package with a brief description of what happened.
UriShX
Re: Did I fry my board? Is there something I can do?

Post by UriShX »

Cool, will do, and thanks for your reply!