seriemotor field polarity

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
jellestappers
seriemotor field polarity

Post by jellestappers »

Dear Basicmicro,

I am looking for a roboclaw motordriver or a mcp driver to control a 1KW series motor.
The thing is this is a drive motor, and it should go forward and reverse.
To achieve forward and reverse motion i have to be able to reverse the Field winding of the motor.
Is there a setup with the roboclaw motordriver so i can use the 2nd motordriver on there to drive the field and be able to reverse it without a big relay?
I haven't found anything yet, but i guess these heavy drivers have a way of connecting a series motor and allow both drive directions?

Thanks in advance.
Basicmicro Support
Re: seriemotor field polarity

Post by Basicmicro Support »

You should be able to use the second channel to control the field winding on a series motor. Its not something we have done though ourselves. Make sure you are using SIgn Magnitude PWM mode. That is the default mode on most Roboclaws. It should not take much power to energize the field winding so keep the PWM duty low(very low while testing).
jellestappers

Post by jellestappers »

Dear Basicmicro,

That seems to be making sense.
I defenitly want to try that.
I would have to find out how much power the Field exactly requires i guess to get the maximum power out of the motor.
Any idea if it makes a difference if i reverse the field winding or the rotor winding?
Otherwise i just power the field, and only control the rotorwinding with PWM and also inverse on the Rotor.
Btw im looking into a mcp263 for this application since it's programmable and has a better case and 15P subD.
But robotshop.com/nl says it takes 37 to 43 days until a new delivery arrives :o .
Is there any other supplier for the netherlands?
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

It doesn't matter which you switch to change direction. Most series/shunt motor controllers switch the field winding.

We ship direct anywhere in the world, but shipping will almost certainly be more expensive than ordering from Robotshop. They take longer but they handle warehousing on the continent so you end up paying ground rates basically. Also you will have to deal with local Customs and VAT charges if you order direct from us. Im not sure if RobotShop in the EU prices that in already or not.

Go on our site and put in a order. You will get shipping costs before you have to complete the order. We recently got better rates from UPS so what use to be $120 is now around $60 so if that is in your budget and you want it fast we can do it.