Settings resets to default after firmware update

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
ugur1yildiz
Settings resets to default after firmware update

Post by ugur1yildiz »

Hi,

I previously configured some RoboClaw 2x15A Motor Controllers firmware 4.1.33. Now I need to read back the settings by Basicmicro Motion Studio (BMS). When I tried to connect driver it asked to update the firmware to 4.1.34 then I updated. But the drivers settings appeared to be restored to factory defaults and I lost the settings. I have some more drivers with the same settings but again with old firmware 4.1.33.

Now the question;
How can I read the settings of the drivers with old firmware?

If the firmware update can be skipped in BMS or if the version of BMS corresponding to firmware 4.1.33 is available, It can be possible to read the settings on the drivers.

Thanks
Basicmicro Support
Re: Settings resets to default after firmware update

Post by Basicmicro Support »

You can revert to 4.1.33 using the windows uninstaller. Once that is done you can read the settings, however you will then need to run the full installer for 4.1.34. A reverted version will not look for an update.
ugur1yildiz

Post by ugur1yildiz »

However I already formatted my computer so I don't have the previous version of BMS. When I uninstall the last version of BMS then I don't have any BMS.
Basicmicro Support

Contact support@basicmicro.com directly. We will, need to dig out an archive which will take some time.
Konkurs101

Post by Konkurs101 »

Is it possible to restore older versions for as far back in time as you had Motion Studio installed on your computer, or is it only possible under certain conditions?
Basicmicro Support

You can only revert to the previous version assuming you upgraded from that version. If you need an old version of Motion studio we may be able to get a copy but right now we are undermanned due to COVID restrictions and are working hard just to ship orders and hand normal support requests. Digging through an older server backup for an old copy of Motion Studio is very low priority on our schedules right now.
Konkurs101

Post by Konkurs101 »

Okay, thanks, then I should be able to do it myself as I upgraded my version from an older one!
Basicmicro Support

Currently the best solution is if you get a new update notice, cancel it, then using the old version safe the settings from your controller to a file(File menu/Save Settings). Then re-run Motion Studio to get the update notification again, and update the software. Then load the settings from the file you saved. Double check everything looks correct and then write settings to the controllers flash(Device menu/Write Settings).
Konkurs101

Post by Konkurs101 »

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, glad to know I was doing the right thing, I hope it'll help the other members, too.
Basicmicro Support

No, you should continue getting the update notice every time you run. If you revert to a previous version, though you will no longer get any update notifications(unless you reinstall using the latest version).