Burned up chip on 7A board

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
steveski
Burned up chip on 7A board

Post by steveski »

Attached is an image of a 7A board that I just burned up. I circled the chip that is damaged.

I am controlling 2 12VDC motors with 5.6A stall currents. My M1 and M2 max currents are both set to 5.0 in the IONMotion software. My application is communicating to Visual Basic.NET which stops the motors when they reach 2A for 250ms. I was running a repetitive test that started and stopped the motors every 15-30 seconds. After about a half hour of this the board burned up and gave the temp is over 100C fault.

Can you tell me what this chip is and some possibilities on why it burned up? Is the M1/M2 max currents set to 5.0A when I set them to 5.0? The manual is a little confusing on this.

[img]
RoboClawBadBoard.jpg
RoboClawBadBoard.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
[/img]
Basicmicro Support
Re: Burned up chip on 7A board

Post by Basicmicro Support »

That is one of the dual mosfet packs. All the current flows through those so they heat up the most. If the board reached 100C before failing then my guess is the current sense was not reading correctly and let the board continue to heat up until it reached our max cut off of 100c. Normally from 85c to 100c the current limit is automatically reduced. By the time the controller hits 100c the motors will not be given any power at all so theoretically they should never be able to reach 100c. This is why I think the current sense may not be working correctly on that board. Please send it in to us and we will replace the bad mosfet and retest teh unit to make sure the current sense is working correctly.

Note the 2x7A has been tested to run at 7a continuous in 25c ambient environment. If your ambient temp is higher the board will heat up to 85c at a lower current but the over current/temp limiter should have kicked in at 85c. 100C cut off is strictly a last resort failsafe.

Send it to:

Ion Motion Control
33175 Temecula Parkway
Suite A-630
Temecula CA 92592

include your return address on a note inside the box.