Minimum Logic Battery Voltage

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
JohnK
Minimum Logic Battery Voltage

Post by JohnK »

Acidtech,

I blew my regulator when an adapter board I built shorted to the heat-sink. That is not really a problem since I have lots of 5V feed so use to a servo+ pin. However the LB+ shows +5 V (the same as previous users in this thread). If I pull it to ground lots of current flows and the wire gets hot. You suggested that the regulator should be removed, that is no problem. Is the Regulator U2? Also this board shows 0V for main battery voltage. I also sometimes shows M1 Over-current.

I have a second Roboclaw 2x60a that when I connect the USB cable the my main processor reboots. It examined the connector under high magnification and could see nothing obviously wrong.

Both boards are 2x60A V5 with 4.1.9 firmware.

Thanks
JohnK

PS: I will be sending the new updated python roboclaw.py in a day or so. I added 2 new functions, converted to a class (I was running in to problems communication to other Arduino boards, names conflicted) and corrected on that was wrong. SpeedAccelM1M2 used the wrong function I corrected it to Cmd.MIXEDSPEEDACCEL. I added:

Code: Select all

#  jek 7/28/2016
    def  _read44(self, address, cmd):
        global _crc
        trys = self._trystimeout
        while 1:
            self.rcport.flushInput()
            self._sendcommand(address, cmd)
            val1 = self._readlong()
            if val1[0]:
                val2 = self._readlong()
                if val2[0]:
                    crc = self._readchecksumword()
                    if crc[0]:
                        if _crc & 0xFFFF != crc[1] & 0xFFFF:
                            return (0,0)
                        return (1,val1[1],val2[1])
            trys -= 1
            if trys == 0:
                break
        return (0,0,0)

#  jek 7/28/2016
    def  _readS4S4(self, address, cmd):
        global _crc
        trys = self._trystimeout
        while 1:
            self.rcport.flushInput()
            self._sendcommand(address, cmd)
            val1 = self._readslong()
            if val1[0]:
                val2 = self._readslong()
                if val2[0]:
                    crc = self._readchecksumword()
                    if crc[0]:
                        if _crc & 0xFFFF != crc[1] & 0xFFFF:
                            return (0,0)
                        return (1,val1[1],val2[1])
            trys -= 1
            if trys == 0:
                break
        return (0,0,0)

#  jek 7/28/2016
    def  ReadEncoders(self, address):
        return self._readS4S4(address, self.Cmd.GETENCODERS)

#  jek 7/28/2016
    def  ReadISpeeds(self, address):
        return self._readS4S4(address, self.Cmd.GETISPEEDS)
Basicmicro Support
Re: Minimum Logic Battery Voltage

Post by Basicmicro Support »

I've split your post away from that other thread. It is a significantly different problem than what was being discussed in that thread.

You damaged the 5v regulator so its very likely you damaged other parts of the board. I recommend you send the board in for repair. Based on other things you said it sounds like the Main battery voltage reading is dead which indicates the main processor has been damaged. From previous experience once a chip has been damaged it is very likely to eventually completely fail(probably at the worst possible moment).

As for the second board when you say it resets your processor, do you mean it resets your PC? That sounds like a short of some kind but USB ports are supposed to be protected and prevent shorts plus the Roboclaw does not pull power form the USB connector. Can you give more details on how everythign is wired up when you plug int he second boards USB and what exactly happens?
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Acid,

I will test and get back to you.

The second board does not reset when I try it on my laptop. I need to look at the wiring for grounds and stuff.

Thanks
JohnK
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Acid,

I am having problems with both boards. I will contact support for a RMA# to send them in for you to look at.

I have a 3rd Roboclaw 2X60A coming from Servo City today. I will not use external power until we/I figure out what is going on.

Thanks for Your Assistance!
JohnK
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Acid,

I just want to confirm the hookup for the logic power on a Roboclaw 2x60A. I got a 3rd one from ServoCity and am using the built-in BEC for now.

I am using a lead-acid deep-cycle battery for the Main Battery. 109 AH, 700A starting current.

1. Use built-in BEC:
- nothing connected to LB+ and LB-
- Jumper connecting LB-MB
This works OK

2. External Logic Battery - using my system Power battery
- system Power to LB+ and LB-
- No Jumper on LB-MB

3. External 5V for logic power from regulated supply
- No Jumper on LB-MB
- regulated 5v connected to S5+
- ground to S5-
- 1k pulldown to LB+
- nothing connected to LB-

Is this correct? I am currently using #1 and everything works. I would like to use #2 or #3 as when I do development work I want to maintain communication with the Roboclaw, but, save the battery.

I emailed "general" and am waiting on a RMA number and instructions for sending in the 1st 2 boards.
Thanks
JohnK
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

If you have a choice between #2 and #3 use #2. You will have to supply at least 6v to LB IN in that case. One potential cause of damage is if you are running a logic 5v to the board and something glitches the 5v logic while the motors are running could cuase damage(eg the mosfet drivers control pins may not be in known state during the glitch causing a large shootthrough and they eat themselves).
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Acid,

I agree #2 is probably the best.
I have heard back and been assigned Ticket #264. I will ship the boards back tomorrow.

Thanks for Your Help
JohnK