The error led lit when setting mode to packet serial

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
jasmin92
The error led lit when setting mode to packet serial

Post by jasmin92 »

I had some issues getting my code working with RC mode. When I saw this "When the Roboclaw is not in packet serial mode USB packet serial commands can be used to read status information and/or set configuration settings, however motor movement commands will not function" I though I need to set the roboclaw mode to packet serial mode to get my code's motor movement commands working but when I did the setting I've got the error led on and couldn't use this mode.
I don't know what's going wrong! Help would be greatly appreciated.
Basicmicro Support
Re: The error led lit when setting mode to packet serial

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Ion Motion will tell you exactly what the error state is. Solid error led usually indiactes a warning(over/under voltagage or over current. My guess is when you set the packet serial mode you may have accidentally changed the battery setting instead.

You can reset the board settings(which also resets the board to packetserial) by holding the middle button(SET) pressed while powering on the Roboclaw. The error led will light up after it is powered on, until you release the button. Then the board leds should go back to normal(eg Stat1 lit solid if the board is idle).

You are correct. You can not send motor commands via USB packet serial while the board is in RC mode because RC pulses are coming in 50 times a second which overrides any packet serial motor commands.
jasmin92

Post by jasmin92 »

That's right I was changing the battery settings instead of the packet serial mode but that was because my roboclaw's Lipo and mode buttons are switched.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

Note, you can swap the button functions(Lipo and Mode) using IonMotion(its a check box in General Settings). Apparently yours was not set when it was tested before packaging the board. Also note, that the 4.1.19 firmware(Available in the IonMotion QA software) changes the default button layout on the V5 boards so they match properly.